Question
Posted by: depressed and struggling | 2011/03/30

urgent help please

dear doc.2 yrs ago i was in perfect shape infact i was a killer machine i weighed 58 kilos,im 1.65 tall am 27 yrs had a lean and toned body ,excercised 5 times a week twice a day for 2hrs .i changed jobs and no longer have access to a gym im trying home excercise which is proving to be more of a struggle.i now weigh in at 71 kilos ,have tried different diets but nothing seems to work .this is my typicl day -morning 45 mins taibo or bootcamp,evening 20 mins stationery bike .food intake,b/fast plain yogurt ,apple,snack,pear,lunch mixed vegies n lean mince ,supper lean chikin or beef sometimes dont have supper at all,what am i doing wrong .pls help getting married end of April and need to lose the weight

Dear Depressed and Struggling
I find it difficult to figure out why your present BMI = 26, when it used to be 21.3 before. You are still doing 65 min of intensive exercise per day and are eating a very-low-energy diet. Have you by any chance started taking medications, such as the pill? Female hormone treatments can cause weight gain and hamper weightloss. If you are taking female hormones, then you need to discuss your weight gain with the prescribing dr and ask for a different type of contraceptive. If you have not suddenly started taking any medications which could be linked to your weight gain, then you may well be gaining weight because you are depressed. Mention this to the dr if you go to see one. Depression can cause pronounced weight gain or loss depending on the patient. You may not be happy in your new job, esp as it is depriving you of going to gym, or the wedding may be causing stress. A clinical psychologist will be able to assist with the depression. I do not think the diet you describe is balanced, so please try to eat a more balanced diet and do not skip meals. Try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) and substitute skipping for the Taebo, to give your metabolism a jolt.
I do hope you can lose some weight so that you feel radiant and confident on your wedding day.

1

Dear Depressed and Struggling