Posted by: Lee | 2008-11-15

Urgent help

I was diagnosed with bipolar last yr aug,I stopped taken medication when i found out i was preg in Dec and have a healthy 3mnth old boy.But cybershrink are you saying that my little boy will also get it one day.He is still breastfed and my boyfriend said the same thing.

He was always supportive on this but now i think im having a relapse and he think im using the bipolar as an excuse to behave like this(I accuse him for everythg that goes wrong,when i dnt get a responds frm him withn a few min).I feel on top of the world one min,the next i feel like my boyfriend is not good enough for me and just feel like i can take him out of this equaztion,but i fear for my baby and his the only thing that is stopping me from hurting myself.Ive even stopped the therapy as it did not help but where or who in jhb is excellent to help me overcome this,so that i can either leave this guy and move on being a single mom and except or make things work.

His a good man in many other ways,but he loves to drink almost everyday,one or two beers, doesnt get drunk an he knows he has a problm but not working on it.We were close friends before we ended up bipolar was diagnosed maybe cause i lost my boyfrnd 4yrs ago and 4mnths later my best friend died of diabetes.Im trying very hard to control my lows but i just snap when i dont get my way.pls help

I'm definitely NOT saying your little boy will become Bipolar. EVERY little boy or girl born has some slight risk of developing almost any disorder. If one's mom or dad has Bipolar disorder, one's risk of developing that particular disorder is a bit hight. If both parents already have developed Bipolar Disorder, the risk would be a bit higher again.
If you might be having a bipolar relapse, of a depresion or hypomanic type, do see your shrink again for a re-assessment and an exploration of treatment options. But it sounds as though the problem or concern you have now is more within the relationship than due to the biochemistry of bipolar disorder, so seeing a counsellor, perhaps of the CBT format, might help more, while resuming appropriate medication as mood-stabilizer.
I agree with felicity. If the meds are necessary, then go back on them ans switch to bottle feding, which will not cause any problems for the child. And your shrink, and mabe SADAG could help your bf, if you decide to continue to have him around, understand your disorder better

Posted by: Lee | 2008-11-17

thank you so much,I will and have to do something cause I cant sit around and wait for things to fall in place.

like today,Im feeling depress for no reason,nothing happend I' m just misrable and try to control it at work,as i' m already waiting for someone to ask me a stupid question to blow off.

It hurts me so much that the wrong people get hurt because of me.But I' m gonna work on this,and thanks to forum I know there is a better life than feelng sorry for myself.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: felicity | 2008-11-15

I live with a twin brother who is bipolar and can understand some of what you are saying.Please speak to your therapist and go backon your meds and maybe switch tobottle feeding cos the disease can be controlled 100% by meds and continual assesment of treatment.I must admit it is not easy being a " partner"  to a bipolar sufferer especially as in my case suicide attempts preceded any form of treatment. Get your boyfriend to speak to the bipolar support group (Tara affiliated) and hopefully he will overcome his concerns.Bipolar is a disease which requires permanent treatment/medication and the afflicted person can live a totally normallife once medication is sorted out and stability attained. My brother on his meds is the best thing since " sliced bread"  but a nightmare off!!!

Reply to felicity