Posted by: Sandy | 2009-05-17

Urgent! Glandular Fever

Dear Doc
About a year ago the glands on my husband' s, sides, lower back and stomach areas seemed to have become inflamed. They were swollen and very tender/ painful to the touch. He began having headaches and high temperatures, became easily exhausted and lethargic and seemed to have very little energy. He consulted with a GP, who prescribed painkillers and asked him to take things easy. A year down the line and he still experiences these high temperatures, headaches, pain throughout the glandular regions of his body and extreme exhaustion. He has now become easily exhausted, although he has at least 6hrs of sleep. What worries me is that he is now looking depressed but refuses to consult with the GP again. He is 46 years old and has always been in excellent health previously. Doc, please advise as to what we should do?

I strongly suggest that your husband consults an internal specialist as soon as possible! There are a multitude of reasons for his symptoms and it is of utmost importance to rule out the more serious causes.

For the past 6 months I' ve been having a " tuma"  on the left side of my throat. I went to the doctor and he said that the tuma is not on my thyroid. He knows this because when I swallow the tuma moves up and down but when I stick my tongue out nothing happens. It is quite visible. I don' t feel any pain or swallowing problems. I am suppose to make an appointment with a specialist but don' t have the finances at this stage. I would like to know if this is something to worry about seeing that it has been there for 6 months already and I don' t have any pain or discomfort.