Question
Posted by: Worried P | 2008/07/17

URGENT! Folic acid and pregnancy

Hi everyone,

My husband and i have just found out that i am pregnant, if my calculations are right, i am 4 weeks and 2 days.

I feel a so stupid because i never looked into what i should be taking before falling pregnant to ensure that all is well once i do fall preggies. I have just read that a person should take Folic Acid before you fall preggies and during the first few weeks especially otherwise the baby can have spinal or brain defects.

I have not taken any folic acide up until now. Tonight we are off to the chemist to get.

Is my little baby in danger?? :(

It is a bit like exercise. Regular exercise helps prevent heart attacks but, if you don't exercise it does not mean that you will have one.

2
Posted by: Just for your info | 2008/07/17

Having a healthy baby means making sure you' re healthy, too. One of the most important things you can do to help prevent serious birth defects in your baby is to get enough folic acid every day - especially before conception and during early pregnancy.

What Is Folic Acid?
Folic acid, sometimes called folate, is a B vitamin (B9) found mostly in leafy green vegetables like kale and spinach, orange juice, and enriched grains. Repeated studies have shown that women who get 400 micrograms (0.4 milligrams) daily prior to conception and during early pregnancy reduce the risk that their baby will be born with a serious neural tube defect (a birth defect involving incomplete development of the brain and spinal cord) by up to 70%.

The most common neural tube defects are spina bifida (an incomplete closure of the spinal cord and spinal column), anencephaly (severe underdevelopment of the brain), and encephalocele (when brain tissue protrudes out to the skin from an abnormal opening in the skull). All of these defects occur during the first 28 days of pregnancy - usually before a woman even knows she' s pregnant.

That' s why it' s so important for all women of childbearing age to get enough folic acid - not just those who are planning to become pregnant. Only 50% of pregnancies are planned, so any woman who could become pregnant should make sure she' s getting enough folic acid.

Reply to Just for your info
Posted by: Nix | 2008/07/17

no. as long as you start taking it now then you should be fine. don' t worry about it. Congrats. All the women out there that fall pregnant by accident didn' t take folic acid before either and i' m guessing their kids are fine.

Reply to Nix