Question
Posted by: desperado | 2012/12/06

urbanol safe?

My doctor prescribed me urbanol since lately I feel very tired, fuzzy head, dizzy, heart palpitation and confused. I suspect panic attacks (I had them about 15 years ago as well and it''s feels the same)

They did do a heart test, thyroid, insulin, liver, blood count etc and could not find anything medically wrong.

It feels like I''m totally out of control and freaking out. Feeling like i''m " living in a dream" 

No I read on the internet about side effects etc on Urbanol and now I''m to scared to actually drink it. The doctor said I should take 1 in the morning and one at night. I already feel like I can''t focus, isn''t urbanol going to make me even worse and more drowsy?
I read more bad than good things about it

I'm sure your doc wouldn't want to prescribe anything unsafe for you ! Urbanol os a sedative tranquillizer of the Benzo family ( Valium etc , and it has been widely prescribed for years.
Presumably after checking out other possibilities, your doc has decided this is probably an anxiety disorder, and Urbanol is indeed used for that. I don't think you need to be scared of it, but see what it does for you. Maybe start it at the weekend, so you can rest for a day or two while checking it out. It should help relieve panic attacks and anxiety, and help you to feel more in control and less liable to freaking out. Yes, some people may find them sedating, and may feel more drowsy, depending on the dose. Maybe start with the one a night, when being drowsy is handy.
Its good to look up one's drugs on the internet, but understand what you find. Regulations require the official type of site to list EVERY side-effect than anyone has reported, not necessarily caused buy the drug, and often rather rare. Few of the side-effects listed are compulsory.

54
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/22

I have been taking 10mg in the morning 10mg at night and In between the course of the day I still take 3 to 5 ativan. I just can't get rid of my anxiety. It is really taking over my life. It has been years since I have actually had 1 decent day that I have enjoyed life. All the doctors say I am on the right medication. I am not so sure. All those pills I take and I still have anxiety. It can't work. Any advise or help please anyone

Posted by: Barry | 2016/05/19

I have a method amphetamine related question and have a feeling that cybershrink can help if so I really need to have urgent conversation. Please

Reply to Barry
Posted by: Terry | 2016/04/07

Thanks for this- I have just been given this medication, supposed to take three a day along with Tripaline at night and sleeping pills and anti depressants- severe anxiety and depression. What an awful thing to have- you look fine and feel like you are in attack mode all the time -fight or flight feeling 24/7. Im going to start tonight with one and try just takling half tomorrow and see how I cope. I was also on Alzam and it worked really well but along with anxiety comes IBS panic depression and the goal is to get off all this stuff and get back to having a normal life if that is ever possible. Common sense is what is needed- thank you for yours:)

Reply to Terry
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/10

Now what do I do? I was subscribed urbanol today, but afyer reading the comments, I think I will rather keep using prozen.far less dangerous and its natural and not addictive. Lol, learned my lesson with epitec and cilift

Posted by: Barry | 2016/03/06

I went on Urbanol about a month ago.. I take it as I need it in times of great stress..10mg. My concern / question is.. since I started taking it my pulse rate have gone up to 110 to 120 and I can seem to get it down.. Is this one of the side effects of this medication ?

Reply to Barry
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/03

I have tried them all, urbanol, brozam, xanor, cilift etc, nothing is actually helping, so now i am trying Jesus, its actually amazing when i trust in him for the day to bring me through and it work everytime. For his word says: BE Anxious for nothing.

Posted by: clive in cape town | 2016/02/16

went a bit mad the first two days then it smooothed out now I am the best I've been in 7 years. guess it doesn't work for everybody. plus there really is no need to get mean with each other guys. we're all kinda loco are not? lol

Reply to clive in cape town | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Philalsoincapetown | 2016/07/30

Urbanol is the least addictive of the bentos per my GP who has known me for 25 years plus. Have been on prednisone for lung problem and this has a side effect of elevated blood sugar with anxiety. Felt almost immediate relief after first Urbana tablet and even better after pill 2. As stared it is not for everyone, but sure works for me!

Posted by: Howard | 2016/02/03

I took my 1st Urbanol yesterday during a particular stressful period and I felt it helped, relax me, while I still did my business. I wasn't tired and worked till very late at night no problem. Keep religion out of this. I care about religion, but its a personal thing, and I find it offensive when Jesus hero's go on and on, especially when I don't follow that faith at all.

Reply to Howard
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/11

Get away from this stuff!! You can get fully addicted in as little as 10 days. Google benzodiazepine withdrawal and find out why, in the end it will make you as addicted as other real hard core drugs. Trust me I am there now and I know what I am talking about, even rehab centres in SA are starting to recognise this.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/11

I completely agree! I am in the midst of coming off them , after coming off Ativan previously . It`s worse than the anxiety I was taking it for in the first place !! I am taking beta blockers now to get me through the worst of the symptoms, otherwise I would never get off it

Posted by: Jean-Marie | 2015/11/13

For those of you out there suffering from anxiety and fear...I have good news for you. There is a cure..and the only cure is Jesus Christ. He has delivered me from fear and anxiety. I am no longer in bondage, captive in my own body, but I live in the freedom of Christ. When you put your trust in Him completely, He will deliver you from all fears, because PERFECT love (Christ) casts out all fears. I've been to many doctors, I was told I had depression. I was on medication for anxiety. Satan controlled my mind every day. But I found my freedom in once Man who already paid the price for my fears on the cross. 9 months of fear and anxiety, one encounter with Jesus. I am changed forever. I will give Him the glory as long as I live!!! There is only one way..He is the Door…He is the gateway, the solution to your problem. His name is high above all things. His name is Jesus Christ

Reply to Jean-Marie | 9 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/22

Stand up for your beliefs, Jesus heal.....you are covered in his precious blood

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/02/05

I think that most of you are just afraid to take the pill! Jean-Marie has taken her medication (Jesus), and it works better than any prescribed pill! Don't judge her on her comment! She is free to spread the word of God, and I adore her for that!

Posted by: Lephoi | 2016/01/25

Thank you Jean-Marie. God bless you.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/24

You are retarded

Posted by: warbanana | 2016/01/22

Wow this is one of the saddest, most hilarious things I've ever read. Stop taking this thing that is proven to work and believe in this fairy tale. Believing this story will solve your problems! THIS is mental illness right here.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/10

For goodness sake, delete your absurd comment and leave this page. This is not a religious forum!! If your god is so compassionate, why does he sit back and allow so much pain and suffering and condemning people to hell on earth already.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/12

Jean-Marie you should be ashamed of yourself, people come here seeking medical advice not spiritual guidance. People like you are the reason so many people completely reject religion...blind faith causes more harm than good.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/04

Oh please. What a load of bull

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/24

People like you make people like me turn away from religion.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/09

Hi there. Can i give my 16 year old daughter rescue tabs? Thank you.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/12

Hi, I was given Urbanol 10mg,Vimovo 20mg and Espiride 50mg to drink together everyday, I find the Urbanol most effective as it certainly calms you down and a person does not feel so tense,irritated,anxious or aggressive. But it has increased my appetite much more, so find myself eating all kinds of food in turn making me feel lazy and unproductive throughout the day. Its not ideal but its effective. I want to know if it has any long term side effects?

Reply to Anonymous | 3 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/08/07

I was given 1 month's supply of Urbanol to see if it will increase my appetite since it seems that I have IBS with metallic taste in mouth and dryness. 1 Tab in the morning and 1 at night. For me the drug is a miracle, the bad taste has gone and my appetite is normal. I need to gain 12kg to be back to my normal weight. 1 month's supply did the trick. Excellent in my case.

Posted by: Jean-Marie | 2015/11/13

Posted by: blondie 666 | 2015/09/29

dear anonymous, i was given urbanol two months ago, been having panic attacks, anxiety.. but now im too scared to take it. do u take yours at night. i ve noticed some ppl take it early in the am others at night . did u experience any side effects. im so desperate to feel better but so sceptical....thanking u in advance

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/07

Urbanol saved my life. I used it 3 years ago after losing my grandfather, my beloved 16 year old cat and my dad. I used to get severe panic attacks and fell into depression. I was admitted for hospitalization for just over two weeks. I took the tablet together with a sleeping pill and also an anti depressant I stayed in the urbanol the longest. It made me relax. Calm. Able to think. Able to get through the day regardless of the challenge. I don't use the Abe depressant anymore (haven't gir 2 years) but defending on the circumstance, my disorder comes. Have had anxiety since a childhood and took herbal remedies but they don't work like urbanol. When it comes back I take 5mg in the morning before work any at night if I need. I run 15-20 mins before I take it. Eat healthy. And I will never not recommend urbanol. It is the best for anyone suffering from General anxiety disorder.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/04/21

Hi there Anonymous. I note you said you eat healthy. Does Urbanol cause weight gain? I seem to struggle with my weight since I have started with it.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/02/09

I MUST GO FOR A LOWER BACK OPERATION, BUT MY NEUROCHIRUG SAID HE CANT OPERATE ON ME BECAUSE I USE URBANOL. HE SAID MY BODY WILL REJECT THE URBANOL AND THAT COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS. I'VE EMAILED MY DR ABOUT THIS AND HAVE NOT NOT HEARD FROM HIM. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT I CAN TAKE INSTEAD OF URBANOL BECAUDE EVERYTHING THAT I'VE BEEN REEDING ABOUT URBANOL IS SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME NOW. WHAT CAN I DO? PLEASE HELP, BECAUSE MY BACK IS HURTING SO MUCH THAT I CANT SLEEP, STANDING, OR SIT FOR A TIME. REPLY TO ME AT mari@micosurveys.co.za (hide)

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/02

I was prescribed urbanol after going through a tough ime. I lost my sister nd dad in a year and developed pleurisy. 4 months after the pleurisy and 2 months after loing my sister I started feeling as though I coul not breath nd was prescribed urbanol for anxiety. I ont think I no cy even more and on honk it was anxiety that was making m no breath, I id have a lung X-ray an it was ok..

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jean-Marie | 2015/11/13

Posted by: lezel | 2014/12/29

I went on urbanol 10 mg 2 times a day its now 5 weeks ago I cry no stop if something talk to me I cry I am tired all the time wants to lie in bed with the covers offer me I dont go out if my husband ask me anything to do I cry because I dont have the enery to do it please help my I was on numerous other pillls but this one is the worths36

Reply to lezel | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/28

Tell your doctor about the symptoms that you are experiencing. He or she will most likely take you off this medicine and prescribe you something else.

Posted by: Kayla | 2014/09/19

I was put on Urbanol 5 days ago, I take 1 tablet at night which is supposed to relax me, I have experienced dizzyness, constant trips to wee, as my bladder felt full yet I hardly consumed any liquids, cramps on my left hip side and headaches, i'm wide awake at night and fall asleep around 5am. Please try something else as this is nonsence

Reply to Kayla | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jean-Marie | 2015/11/13

Posted by: corne | 2014/09/18

It works , im 15 I'm using it for 2 months now , and now I'm getting sise effect like confusion, weird feeling in your head but that's how the pill works I don't get attacks anymore so if u have weird feelings and confusions its all normal

Reply to corne
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/09/16

i just started taking urbanol after having extreme anxiety, also just 1 week on citalopram, in the evening i get the most awful feeling in the pit of my stomach, i feel so anxious that i could die, it seems to be after i have taken the urbanol, i feel more anxious than ever, it does not make me sleep at all, i am wide awake and wired anyone have a similar experience ?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/22

Hi All, have suffered from chronic pain ( botched tummy tuck 12 years ago.. Nerves were actually stitched). Saw 19 specialist. Became severely depressed and suicidal. 2 years ago got a neuro stimulator implant. WORKS !! Was still on anti-depressant, valiums and Rhohypnol. Quite by accident chemist told me to get Ulitima Adaptogens (over the counter) for my son who started working and still suffer from ADHD. Read the insert and started taking a these myself. No more sleeping tablets, no Valium, NOTHING else AND I HAVE LOST 20 kgs without any problems. High blood pressure is gone, depression is gone and comfort eating is gone, 2 years of chronic diaree is gone. Taking 1000 mg vit C. That's it !! Worth a try ?

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/21

Thank you for this -- I'm going to try the Ultima adaptogens. All these drugs are just plain scary.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/06/18

Hi I was put on urbanol 7 days ago. I used to be energetic a runner and now I feel like sleeping my life away. I don't have the energy to even take a walk around the house. I have terrible headaches after I've taken it and I just absolutely hate the way these tablets makes me feel. Everybody keeps telling me my body will get used to it, but truth be told . . . Feeling anxious is a lot better than feeling like a vegetable all the time!

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Iknowabouturbanol | 2016/01/11

Posted by: Jill | 2014/03/10

Hello, I have been on Tranxene 15mg specifically prescribed for anxiety. I have took 1 a day for more than 20 years. 4 years ago it went off the market and was no longer available. I was then put on to Fluanxol 5mg, experiencing terrible effects. I could not focus. Tranxene then came back on the market, and was delighted. Now, it is off the market again. I have been prescribed Urbanol, I am confused and sceptical to take it. I work (have my own business) and cannot be in the position not to be focused or fuzzy headed. Has anyone been on Tranxene and could help for an alternative, without side effects?

Reply to Jill | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Jean-Marie | 2015/11/13

Posted by: Jill | 2014/04/05

Please can you reply to my note. I would really like to resolve the situation. Much appreciated. Regards, Jill

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/12/20

I used urbanol 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening for my heart problem with cilift 10mg (anti depressant), the Doctor be scribed this for me as im not allowed to get angry due to excessive heart problems. Must say that the first 3 weeks of using Urbanol was the worst for me as I could not function normally. I was dizzy drooled all the time and just could not register on a daily basis. Had a chat to my doctor about this and he suggested only taking 10mg Urbanol in the evening. This has helped so much as my body started taking to the tablet. I do agree do not go cold turkey trying to get off Urbanol rather consult your doctor as the side effect is immense

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/11

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/10/24

Please proceed with caution - Urbanol is extremely dependency-forming, even after a short time. I was on it for years but had to go cold turkey because it started to destroy my oral membranes, causing me to drool incessantly. Coming off it was hell on earth, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Because it binds with so many receptors in one's body, one is literally a wreck - I had to re-learn to walk (I was dizzy and exhausted all the time), my resting heart-rate was 180, I shook all the time, was itchy, had intense suicidal thoughts for three months, couldn't work, couldn't leave the house, lost a job, cried all day ... all side-effects of withdrawing from this 'harmless' drug. Only now, seven months later, am I actually starting to get my life back. Plus I have to address all my psychological issues from scratch, without chemical help. So please only think of taking this medication as an absolute last resort, and do not take it every day if you can possibly avoid it.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jean-Marie | 2015/11/13

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/05/08

Hi, I have been on urbanol for 3 weeks now and at first felt fine and now i feel awfull, i am having heart flutters, i am vomiting alot and it feels like i dont have any energy during the day. I also get days were I acctually feel more anxios than ever before. Does anyone have the same problem?

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: LEE | 2014/02/11

Please listen to my story before you take Urbanol. It was given to me by my GP for some anxiety I was experiencing after an accident. I was told it is not addictive and even given to teenagers with exam stress. Needless to say I felt awful every day of my life on this drug, however every time I tried to stop it, it felt like I was going to die so I had to go back on. I was on it for 2 years and in that time my life became an absolute nightmare. Anxiety INCREASED to a level where I could not cope, I became depressed and felt out of control. Eventually I received advice to slowly wean off this poison using valium as a substitute. This took me six months in total. I don't know how, but I managed to cling on to my marriage children and job during this time. It was something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Words cannot describe the withdrawal process. Fortunately I am mostly healed now it is almost a year since I took my last slither of a valium. I must add I was only ever on 5mg of Urbanol ONCE a day!!! My anxiety is also almost non existent now which proves the fact that doctors refused to acknowledge...the medication made my problems worse. Not once did I crave this medicine as in addicted to it, it was just that if I tried to stop I would have horrific withdrawal symtoms. Please listen very carefully to my warning. I wish someone had warned me x Good luck

Posted by: Anti urbanol | 2013/01/18

I was put on urbanol in the beginning of December 2012 for burn out and it gave me the same side effects. I went to 6 doctors and told them how I was feeling, and they all said to carry on taking it. After my 2nd set of blood tests I was told I had suddenly developed hypothyroidism and would have to take mediation for the rest of my life. I found this really strange as hypothyroidism is associated to weight gain and I lost 4kg in a month, and am no where near over weight.
Finally out of desperation I spoke to a friend who is a surgeon and she told me to get off it ASAP as it was taken off code years ago and has dependency issues.
I then went to doctor #7, and had a third set of blood tests for my thyroid. After a week of not taking urbanol my thyroid returned to normal and most of the side effects had gone away.
Speak to your doctor, and ask for an alternative,
Urbanol is not the answer!

Reply to Anti urbanol
Posted by: Annelize | 2012/12/07

Hi desperado

I do not know your gender or age. Have you been tested for menopause? It could also be the cause of your anxiety and fatigue. HRT may help relieve the symptoms.

Also, eliminating unnecessary sugar from your diet my help.

Reply to Annelize
Posted by: ME | 2012/12/06

I was put on urbanol yesterday as I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks - I used to take alzam which worked so well but the doctors are so paranoid about me getting hooked on them (I actually only take half the pill not a whole one and only when I need it) so they gave me urbanol - last night I tried one and I did get drowsy so this morning I took half a tab and have been fine.

it does sound like you having panic attacks - I had all the tests done and all was fine physically.

Try taking 1 at night and a half in the morning - my doc prescribed 3 a day but I have been fine today on just the half tablet and been able to focus.

Try seeing a therapist to get to the bottom of what is causing the panic attacks - its fine to treat the symptoms but unless you find the cause you will not overcome them. I try to take one day at a time and set small achievable goals. I also take rescue tabs if I feel a bit panicky but need the stronger stuff when its really bad - I also get that " fluttery"  feeling, sudden incredible hunger, nausea, feeling of impending doom...

Its not easy hey - but when you feel out of control and full of negativity consciously decide to look for something positive to try change your thought pattern and it does help

Reply to ME | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/19

Please stay away from Alzam, the more you take it the more panic attacks you get. I still have a 6months script wich i haven't filled for the past two years.