Question
Posted by: A | 2012-04-24

Urbanol

Good morning

Just want to clarify something:

My dr said i must drink 1 Urbanol at night. What is the use by drinking this pill at night if you need it to help you during the day?

Does it make a difference when you drink it?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi A

The fact that Urbanol is seen as an intermediate to lon-acting benzodiazepine means that it has to be prescribed less often, and that a single daily dose is often sufficient. It is often prescribed to be taken at night.

9

Get away from this stuff!! You can get fully addicted in as little as 10 days. Google benzodiazepine withdrawal and find out why, in the end it will make you as addicted as other real hard core drugs. Trust me I am there now and I know what I am talking about, even rehab centres in SA are starting to recognise this.

Posted by: Chris | 2014-06-23

I require a knee replacement but am told I am too young (57). I cannot sleep because of the pain so take an over the counter (somnil) sleeping tablet but my leg still twitches like mad so I started taking 5mg urbanol every night to stop the twitching (it did help) and along with my sleeping tablet my leg doesn't ache and I get a good nights sleep - I know this sounds weird by urbanol keeps the pain out of my knee all day, better than any anti inflammatory. My knee movement is still very limited but I can actually live pain free all day. I told my doctor and he said "well if it stops you from having a knee replacement then keep taking it". I train at gym about 3 times a week (no impact training on my legs but I do train them), reasonably fit etc so it works for me. Trouble is I skipped urbanol one night because I wanted to see if I can live without it, thought its was all in my head - started the day limping a little but deteriorated quickly, by 10am I couldn't walk, had to get assistance to get to my car, I was in so much pain. Took a 10mg urbanol (always have some with me) and within an hour I was pain free - go figure. Do I taper off and if my knee is that bad insist on the knee op or do I stay on urbanol? Initially it was prescribed for my palpitations - I'm a highly strung individual :) and it does stop me from snapping at people.

Reply to Chris | 1 comment (hide)

Go and see your knee specialist again. He must be crazy not to give you a replacement when you're in that much pain. Besides the odd cramp now and again you will be able to have your life back. I had a partial knee replacement in December last year. I also enjoy the gym and sometimes do too much and it hurts a little but goodness gracious me, i'm living a normal life, drug free!!

Posted by: Alex | 2012-07-26

Yesterday I was put on 10mg twice daily. One in the morning and one before bed time. Normally a very calm person, but recently very explosive and short fused. Is Urbanol a anti-depressant or calming tablet?

Reply to Alex
Posted by: Dean | 2012-05-12

Gooday

I am currently on 2 x 5mg Urbanol a day for the past six months. How would I go about tapering off the Urbanol and how long would it take?

Thank You

Reply to Dean | 1 comment (hide)

Hi Dean Were you able to come right with advice about tapering? I am currently a member of BenzoBuddies, an incredibly helpful support group for those of us withdrawing from benzos. They have lots of advice on the site. Hope this helps. (I had to cold turkey as the Urbanol was destroying my oral membranes, causing me to drool, and it was hell on earth - was suicidal for three months and am only now starting to get my life back seven months later. These pills are dangerous.)

Posted by: Urbanol user to | 2012-05-11

I also wonder why it is taken at night. My Dr told me it lasts of 12 hours and that I should take it in the morning as needed to cope with anxiety and stress related to break=uo. I was battling to focus through the day.

Reply to Urbanol user to
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012-04-26

Hi A

Reply to pharmacist | 1 comment (hide)

Hi, a follow up question to your answer. So it's okay to take it only when I feel the need to? It definitely helps ease the anxiety but I still think Rivotril works better. What is your advice?