Question
Posted by: Sunshine | 2012/03/28

Urbanol

I''ve always suffered from what I thought was low blood sugar. My symtom are: feeling tired, dizzy, num, headaches, Chest pain/palpitations and breathlessness. I''ve always remedied it with drinking fruit juice or having something sweet. However over the last few months this has become worst at times leaving me so num and dizzy I cant function.
Last week I decided to go and see a doctor (GP) and descriped my symtoms to him. he examined me, checked my blood sugar level and did a ECG. All showed up normal and he send my blood work for futher test (results which I''ll get today).

He gave me a prescription but didn''t explain what it was for. And since I was in a hurry to get to work I also didn''t ask. When I filled the prescription I asked the pharmacist what the medication was for. She explained that it was for pain (headaches) and the other for depression.

My question is why would he prescribe antidepressants. I''m furious cuz (and I''m no doctor) I dont think I suffer from depression.

Coming to think of it he did ask if I was under any stress at work or home to which I replied I couldn''t be any happier at the moment as I have great bosses and a good home life.

Any advise doc??

Your symptoms may or may not be due to low blood sugar, but sound more like some form of anemia. Presumably this is what your doc is checking for in the further tests. What the diagnosis is ( and there needs to be a proper diagnosis, and referral to a specialist physician if necessary ) and only then can a rational plan for treatment be made.
Informed consent is always necessary, so any doctor prescribing anything needs to explain to you clearly what it is, what its benefits and risks are.
Urbanol is NOT an antidepressant. Not at all. And it isn't a painkiller. It is a benzodiazepine, related to Valium, and is a sedative used to treat anxiety. As it sounds as though your anxiety or dtsress was related to the physical symptoms related you your anemia ( or whatever other cause is identified ) the best treatment would be identifying the cause of those symptoms, and effective treating it.
Urbanol could add to your sense of tiredness and dizziness, but could relieve your anxiety to some extent. A GP would be allowed to prescribe such meds, if they were thought to be likely to help you.
Call about the test results, and mention your concern about whether the Urbanol would really help, and what diagnosis the tests reveal and how that diagnosis will best be treated.

3

Posted by: bvious | 2012/03/28

The most sensible thing to do is phone the doctor who prescibed the medication?
This can be done when u obtain yr results of the blood tests.................

Reply to bvious
Posted by: Sunshine | 2012/03/28

Forgot to sau that he the tabs he prescribed was Urbanol 10mg. I also googled this and found that its a schedule 5 drug. Does he as a GP have the authority to prescribe this. And taking into consideration my symtoms (which by the way corresponds with anemia) is it wise to take these.

Thank u for ur time doc

Reply to Sunshine