Question
Posted by: M | 2008/08/19

Upper leg pain

I am a 60-year-old woman and had a neck operation in March 2008. During this procedure, a piece of bone was taken from my hip and placed in my neck.
My neck has healed fine, but I am experiencing a problem with my hip/leg.
Ever since the operation, I periodically get a burning sensation on the outer part of my right leg, about mid way between my knee and my hip.
My leg will then go completely numb and only if I sit down and have a rest, will feeling return and the burning sensation will disappear. Applying heat also helps a lot.
I have seen many doctors and physiotherapists, and no one can give me a definite diagnosis. The overall consensus seems to be that this is a pinched nerve.
Any other ideas what this might be?
If you agree that this might be a pinched nerve - any recommendations on how this can be solved - it has been 5 months now that I am sitting with this problem and all everyone keeps telling me is that is will just disappear over time. Please help.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello M
There is a possibility that during the part of your operation on your hip, the connective tissues/muscles of the lateral thigh may have been affected resulting in soft tissue changes further down the leg giving you the symptoms you now describe.

This is by no means any sort of diagnosis.

I would recomend you consult with your nearest osteopath for another evaluation. For more information visit www.osteogoodhealth.com

Also:
Avoid high heel shoes as they create more work for the hip muscles.
Try stretching your buttock and illiotibial band.
Avoid walking with a waddle or with your feet to the sides.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath