Question
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/02/23

Upper arms

Hallo Fitness doc

Please advise what is the best exercise to reduce upper arm fat. I dont want to build more muscle and fat. I want my arms to be slimmer and slender.
I normally exercise with 1.5kg weights.

Hi Annemarie

Well, it's difficult because it's not a simple matter of focusing on the arms.

It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the arms, others with the abs or thighs.

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million bicep or tricep exercises a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

You should then combine this with some weight training. This is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance.

I'm not sure what you've been doing with your weights, but bicep curls, shoulder press and tricep dips (you don't need weight for these) would be part of your armoury. You may need to increase that weight slightly, but the key is the cardio training.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.

5
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/27

Hi Annemarie

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: PVS | 2011/02/24

Any intense cardio will help, jumping rope is a all round body workout and good cardio workout aswell even swimming laps will help do something you are not used to doing that way you will get a much better workout. Do a complete body stretch you can search the net for step by step guides. Enjoy  )

Reply to PVS
Posted by: inhalayepidly | 2011/02/23

Reply to inhalayepidly
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/02/23

Thanks for your advise PVS. i Hate my arms. Do you think i must rather do more cardio and through the dumbells away?
What about push ups? What type of stretches do you recommend?

Reply to Annemarie
Posted by: PVS | 2011/02/23

There is no such thing as spot reduction in other words training ur arms does not mean that is where you will loose weight, up your cardie level and do alot of stretching.

Reply to PVS