Question
Posted by: Beeee | 2011-08-04

Update on my pups

Hi there Scotty,

Just an update on my two scottish terrier pups (12 weeks and 14 weeks)... they are adorable, spoiled and very hyper and they are still not potty trained  -(

They are outside during the day and sleep inside.

The little female is still coming from outside to do her business inside.

We are doing all the right stuff: repeating the word " wee-wee" , taking them outside every hour, praise them when they wee outside, but no luck.

Are we ever going to get ot right?

Thank you very much  -)

From one dog lover to another

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi dog lover Beee, nice to hear from you again! OK, if the program is not working than go back to the beginning and start again. i have been in this business as a professional now for about 11 years and it always works. You may have to do a bit more 'lateral' thinking in that dogs are banned from inside unless supervised, keep the toilet training going longer, and most importantly, clean and reclean the area soiled again putting down the Citronella oil to may it less appealing. Believe it or not, some dogs actually like the smell of this, so if you see the dog sniffing there with no objection, then try some other type of product such as the 'Pee off' from the vet (there is a new product on the market which i believe is great as well but dont know name yet), try some Mr. Min or Listerine sprayed there instead.
I would also suggest you seriously consider the crate training and have them sleep in the crate at night. Crate training is wonderful, dogs love it and you train them gradually to go there. Have a look at my friendsofthedog site for an article on crate training in the pup section. Take care, be consistent and pratice, practice and supervise. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-08-05

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert