Question
Posted by: Eugene | 2011/02/16

Update on burning skin

Hi doc

Just an update on my post previously about my burning skin. I went to see my GP and he did a lot of bloodwork to check for certain conditions (including food allergies).

I mentioned the Neurontin to him and that I did not want to increase the Rivotril (I take 0.5mg twice a day). He gave me a script for 100mg 3 times a day. (I''m starting off with 100mg per day for a few days and will titrate). It definitely seems to work for the strange skin sensations, so I''m glad. I have interstitial cystitis too, and I think it MIGHT affect my bladder but I''ll be monitoring it.

An interesting observation I made. For the past week or so (actually since the skin burning returned) I noticed that when I take my dose of 50mg trepeline, I have areas on my skin where I can definitely feel a paresthesia...during the day this sensation is not there, but about 40 mins after the trepeline, the sensation starts. I don''t want to self medicate, but is it possible that the trepeline could be worsening the skin sensations (I have been on trepeline for about 2.5 years and when I started it it did the same thing). I''m thinking of taking 25mg for a few nights and see if the sensations subside?

Does any of this make sense to you? I made an appointment with a pain specialist and will be seeing him in about two weeks).

I got a bit terrified there, where for a moment it looked as though you had switched from 0,5 mg of Rivotril twice a day to 100 3 times a day, from which you might never awake. But I gather its the Neurontin that's at the latter dose. Whew ! I'm delighted to hear that the Neurontin seems to be helping relieve those unpleasant skin sensations. Excellent !
I'd be surprised if trepiline caused such problems, as in quite a few people it helps to relieve them.
I'll be interested to hear what the pain specialist has to say. And you sound a bit more positive again, and that's great

1