Question
Posted by: boo | 2009/07/16

update

Hey doc ok so now my new meds the Cipralex 10mg seem to be kicking in its been a week feeling great except for a tummy bug I caught on Sunday, anyways a few days ago i had an event I went for a nap and about 45 minutes or so later I woke up but I couldnt move I was like paralysed and I was trying to get up but couldnt but after a minute well I assume a minute I got up in a bang felt like i needed air because when I got up its was like my breath was taken away, this happend to me before I didnt worry about it before but I am now with all the previous sleep panic attacks I wanted to ask you what this new event actually is? Btw im getting there I can feel an improvement!

Zexeon and Kristen are probably right --- this sounds like Sleep Paralysis. And despite is alarming name, its normal and not in an y way dangerous. Usually, during deep sleep, our brai inhibits body movement so we don't injure ourselves during dreams ( and maybe to reduce the risk of sleep-walking, etc. ) and sometimes this slips out of sync., so we wake up consciously just before our body fully recovers movement, and for a brief time there's this odd sensation of being aware but not able to move, and then movement returns.
At one stage it was called "Night Nurse's Paralysis", because early decriptions were of nurses on duty in a ward a night, catching upm on their paper work, who'd nod off to skeep, then wake, hearing the dreaded footsteps of Night Sister approaching to check on them, and briefly being unable to sit up and pretend to have been awake all the time !

4
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009/07/16

I meant to say it started as a child as I experienced it after that as well.

Reply to Zexeon
Posted by: Kristen | 2009/07/16

Hi guys I think its called sleep paralysis. Google it.

Reply to Kristen
Posted by: Kristen | 2009/07/16

Reply to Kristen
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009/07/16

It last happened to me when I still was a child in my parents house if its the same. You awake but you can' t move and you start to stress but fortunately it only lasted a while although I don' t know what caused it.

Reply to Zexeon