Question
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2010/01/17

Upcoming visit with Psyciatrits is freaking me out...

I am new to this forum. Female, 32 years old. I have been married for 10 years and last week decided that I want us to go for Marriage counceling, as I am not happy and ready to kick him out.

So the Marriage councelor gave us personal questionaire and yesterday I was told that I have " manic depression"  and he thinks I should go and see a Psyciatrist.

This is freaking me out... I am not going to deny it: I have self-destructive thoughts most of the time, I can' t sleep, I go without eating properly for days... and I feel tearful sometimes without realy knowing why...

So what should I expect from this Psyco visit? Can they do bloodtests to confirm that I am depressed? I know from a bloodtest that was done that I have low CORTISOL levels (they did the ACTH tes, but that was negative. Just told me that my Cortisol is low).

Thanks to everyone.

Hello G, and welcome to the forum,
Mariage counsellors are not themselves qualified to or trained to make psychiatric diagnoses, but may recognize the possibility of some such disorders and then appropriately would suggest that you see a psychiatrist for a proper assessment and diagnosis, with a discussion then of treatment options.
Now, there's no need to freak out.
Bipolar Disorder ( which used to be called manic depressive disorder ) is common, and both over-diagnosed and under-diagnosed.
Whatever the diagnosis, if you are experiencing frequent self-destructive thoughts, tearfulness, and problems with sleeping and eating, a depression at least is certainly possible, and you would feel grteatly better with proper treatment.
There are no blood tests for depression, but a gentle interview asking the right questions, can make the diagnosis reliably and usefully. There is nothing to be frightened of - the shrink is there to help you, to identify the real nature of your problems and the best way to solve them.

4
Posted by: woman | 2010/01/18

I' m am sure that CS will also tell you that Bipolar is one of the most over-diagnosed mental illnesses of today. Be sure that when you speak to your psychiatrist, that you tell him/her that you are under a lot of stress due to your marriage falling apart. A good psychiatrist will *never* make a diagnosis after the first visit. Bipolar especially can take years to diagnose correctly as bipolar (or manic depression) works in cycles lasting from a few months to a few years.

Going to the psychiatrist is like going to a doctor who is also a psychologist. They have the medical know how associated with physical symptoms of mental disturbances. So, you will just chat with the person. As with all mental healthcare practitioners, you have to be 100% happy with your psych, and you have every right to change your psych until you find one who is right for you.

Being on a good anti-depressant can only be good for you at this stage, because it will " tone down"  your emotions and help you to think rationally. Good luck to you, a psychiatrist can only do you good at this stage, you should see going to one as a positive step in taking your life back!

Reply to woman
Posted by: Maria | 2010/01/18

Hi Gesiggie. It is rather a scary thing but you really don' t have to worry. The psychiatrist will just talk to you and ask you lots of questions. What will help is if you can write out or type up things that you want to tell him/her and either give it to the doc or just read from it yourself. That way you won' t forget important information because of being nervous. The term " manic depressive"  is old fashioned, it is now called bipolar disorder. This can be managed with medication and therapy, so you are taking the first step on a journey that will lead you to a place where you will feel and function a whole lot better. Take care.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: helper | 2010/01/18

listen, don' t worry.
ultimately these ppl are simply here to make us feel better. help us see things correctly and calmly. try not to worry, its not like they' re going to chop ur leg off and scream " she' s heavily depressed oh my word!!"  they' ll just do what you need. and nothing more!

Reply to helper

Hello G, and welcome to the forum,
Now, there's no need to freak out.