Question
Posted by: Mia | 2009-01-28

Up and down

Dear Doc, since last week I' ve diminished my portions, and cut out fattening foodstuffs on the road to loose weight, and I really do not find it so difficult. However, routinely I check my weight on a daily basis, and the roller coasting effect does not make sense to me. I really do stick to the same kind of kilojoule intake (about 4,500-5,000), but within a week my weight went from 83 to 82.4 to 82.6 to 81 to 81.6. Although it' s on the whole going down, it' s going up and down from one day to the next. Why would this be?
(Yesterday, for example, my meals were: 40 g oats, with 100ml milk and some water for breakfast  black tea with 1 sugar  1 thin stick of low fat biltong for snack  salmon with lettuce/cucumber and one tablespoon of cottage cheese, and one teaspoon of olive oil for lunch  one egg and one cup of peach/grapes fruit salad for dinner  camomile tea with one sugar before bed. )

Dear Mia
You have discovered the frustration and futility of weighing yourself every day! For your peace of mind, PLEASE stop weighing yourself every day and do so only once a week. Body weight can fluctuate by as much as 3 kg in a single day, from day to day and from morning to night depending on factors such as water retention which is in turn influenced by hormone levels, diurnal rhythms, etc. By concentrating on what your scale tells you all the time you will cause stress which produces hormones like cortisol which will make you retain water and weigh more even if you have lost fat. Weightloss also takes time and does not occur in a linear fashion - some weeks you will lose more and some weeks less. So weigh yourself once a week at more or less the same time (e.g. in the morning after rising and emptying your bladder) and also track weightloss by taking your vital statistics (body measurements) once a week. Losing cm is also an indication of fat loss.
Get off this roller coaster before you demotivate yourself.