Posted by: Lololza | 2009-04-14

unwanted weight loss

I have been under a lot of stress but its over now.I have periods where I just eat and eat and sometimes I just dont feel like eating and eat very less, my weight is normal always been between 85-83kg, in that I dont gain no matter how much I eat but I have noticed in my clothes, infact people have also noticed that I have lost weight and it is bothering me, maybe coz of my HIV status, maybe my mind is telling me that I' m becoming sick and HIV people loose weight etc

I' m completely well and healthy, have never had any ailments related to HIV and I' m perfectly fine.I joined the gym last year Nov and only went for three months due to relocation, I have been planning on joining in the town I' m in now but havent had the chance.I' m also concerned coz if its making me loose weight maybe its not good

I do eat normally now not excessively like some periods.I have noticed that I' m not regular at the loo and am constipated to an extent that I think I have piles for the first time in my life.I need something to cleanse my liver naturally, any ideas?maybe the food is not digesting correctly hence I' m loosing weight.

Dear Loloza
If you are HIV+ you should under no circumstances use any products, including herbal ones, to "cleanse" your liver as this can undermine your immunity. If you are constipated click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices, you will see what to eat to keep your colon healthy. I would recommend that you try ‘Bifidoflora’ which you can buy at health shops or dietitians as a probiotic to assist with constipation. I would recommend that you do consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with a diet that will boost your immunity and prevent weightloss as weightloss is the single most important factor in reduced immunity in HIV.