Question
Posted by: Tersia | 2012/09/12

Untimely sleeping

My husband''s heart skips a beat now and again he is 64 years old and the dr says it is nothing to worry about. My worry is he sits on the coach and within minutes just falls asleep- he is then very confused when he wakes up and he says he has not control over it. What is the cause of this?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Tersia

I agree with your husband’s doctor that skipped beats are usually nothing to worry about.

Wives frequently complain to me that their husbands fall asleep too easily, especially when sitting in a comfortable chair in front of the television in a warm room. This does tend to happen more often as men get older, and is not necessarily a sign of disease. However, if you think it is excessive, then I would arrange for your husband to have a thorough check up with a physician or cardiologist. The check up should include a general examination as well as a resting and effort ECG, and such other tests as the doctor thinks necessary.

Although falling asleep may be normal, waking up confused is not. If your husband is definitely and repeatedly confused when he wakes up, then I would arrange for him to see a good neurologist.

Kind regards. JT.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/20

Dear Tersia

Kind regards. JT.

Reply to Cardiologist