Posted by: janice | 2009-01-26

unsure where problem lies

I was diagnosed with severe endo, had 4 lapscopes. did 7 ivf cycles with own eggs, only divide into 2 cells and not further. Had 1st donor egg cycle, with 2 blasts transferred, but unfortunately miscarried after BFP, count dropped after 2nd test. Had operation in July this year to remove endo and checked if uterus is normal. Did another donor egg cycle, which 2 compact embryo'  s were transferred after day 5 but Bloodtest was negative. I you have severe endo, do I have an immune problem. Is my body rejecting the embryo'  s, what can be done in my situation. No fertility specialist could ever confirm my problem accept for the endo. they said the endo could not have caused the chemical pregnancy. The donor used they only aspirated 7 eggs, but there was nothing to freeze. My husband'  s tests all came back normal. I am so dispondent, because nobody can tell me where my problem really lies. I'  m 34 yrs of age and been strugling since the age of 26.

Dear Janice

It is important to know that the success rate on average of any IVF in the best of hands is approximately 40%. In other words, if everything is perfectly normal there are good eggs obtained, sperm test is not too bad, good quality embryos were cheap and the transfer was easy then this would give you a 40% success rate. Which means there is a 60% failure rate. This failure rate cannot always be attributed to any specific cause. So in all honesty it is almost impossible to always tell somebody as to where a problem lies in a failed IVF cycle.