Question
Posted by: Edie | 2012-02-10

Unsure

Dear Prof

I have written to you a couple of time with regards to my son. I have another issue with his school and well, I just need someone to tell me what to do.

He is 3 yrs old, we put him in this creche last year. It came out recently that he was initially put in the wrong class, for the whole year. He is still not coping well with the new class and the fact that his teacher is completely inexperienced is of great concern to us. She is very friendly, but more than once I have found her yelling at the kids for no apparent reason, which I think causes the kids to be unhappy. Now, everything that has happened tells me I have to move him to another school. But, I’ m very bad at making decisions. And I don’ t want him to be upset further or again. And after discussing it, I asked my husband why we are being so difficult, why are the rest of the parents happy? Is it the school or is it us? And if we move him, what’ s to say that it isn’ t a worse decision and that we are going to find fault in everything anyway? Except of cause if my kiddie is 100% happier all of a sudden, but who’ s to say, maybe he’ ll be miserable there as well. A lot has happened at the school, that I’ m just not happy with, but ultimately they do care for the kids and they eat healthy, play a lot and they have a lot of extra activities. I’ m just confused between what my guts telling me and what my brain is telling me, and well, my husband can’ t make his mind up either.

Please just tell me what to do.

I am uneasy about pre-school teachers and adminitrators laying down non-existent laws There is very litl bais for proclaiming certainty about the "right" or wrong class for a child --- time and experience tells whether the kid will thrive. An inexperienced teacher who yells at little kids is the person who is in the wrong class !
Maybe an asessment by a child psycholoigst could shed more light on the extent to which your concerns are realistic, or relate to aspects of your child, yourselves, and the school, and how best to mnage the situation