Question
Posted by: XXX | 2011-08-08

Unsure

Hi there, I have been on Lexamil 5mg per day now for about 4 months. My GP prescribed it after i saw him a while ago. 1year ago, i found out my wife of 10years had been having a relationship with a mutual friend for approx 18months. They say there was no intimacy. I at first didn''t react at all, but about 7 months ago i " lost"  it. I have no willingness to speak to her or be with her. I do not contact her during the day whilst at work, we do not talk about anything, nor do i have a willingness to even ask her about her day. Only reason i have not left her is because of our 5yr old daughter and because i am unsure if my feelings can be trusted. Would the tablets i am on have a negative impact on my feelings for her? Help

5 mg is a low dose, usually used as a starting dose, to be raised to the more usual 10 or even 20 mg per day. I am always uneasy about attempts to use chemicals ( mediciens ) to solve very obviously psychological and social problems, as they are usually not useful for that purpose. If you developed a properly diagnosed Major Depression, then such an antidepressant might help by aiding the resolution of the depression. Indeed, some people complain that such meds dull their feelings and may be less than helpful if one needs to work on realistic communication about real life problems. Wouldn't it be wise to rather engage with your wife in marriage counselling, not to necessarily glue the marriage back together, but so you can both better understand what happened and whether it can and should be put right ?

1