Question
Posted by: Alli | 2011/01/18

Unsuccessful IVF attempt

Hi Dr

I would like to know some of the reasons that could caused your IVF attempt to be unsuccessfull when your embryos were of extreme good quality. the uterus lining having no concerns with the fertility specialists. I was put on cycglogest and produced 16 eggs with 13 excellent quality. Is there something specific I should take precautions in my next attempt with frozen embryos.
Your guidance will be great.

Dear Alli

It would be unfair to justifiably answer a good question that you have posed in a forum like this. It must be understood that every IVF attempt under ideal conditions would not guarantee a successful IVF in fact the best chance of conception if everything goes well is between 45%-50% depending on age. The rate then drops down if there are other confounding factors such as problems with the quality of the embryo, problems with the uterus, the number of embryos transferred and the difficulty with the transfer. So under an ideal circumstance you have a higher failure rate than a successful rate and it is this unknown fact as to why so pregnancies occur even with good quality embryos and no problems and when pregnancies do not occur is the dilemma that fertility specialists have. This unknown fact, if it was known and corrected would then obviously increase ones success rate tremendously. You may well be aware that to achieve a successful pregnancy you need a good quality embryo; a normal uterus such as there should be no polyps, sub-mucosal fibroids, normal uterine anatomy and a good endometrial thickness. However there are also immunological factors which most likely play a vital role and these immunological factors that allow for implantation is theoretically one of the major unknown factors that may allow a pregnancy to succeed or not. There is a very fine balance between acceptance and rejection of an embryo which is regarded as a foreign body on first contact. I don’t think there is anything specific that I can tell you that you should take special precautions that your fertility specialist has not told you and it is probably just by chance one would then achieve a pregnancy with continuous attempts. It must however be understood that a frozen embryo cycle success rate is much less than a fresh embryo cycle success rate. A frozen embryo success rate on average would be approximately 20%-25% with a 3 embryo transfer.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/01/26

Dear Alli

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert