Posted by: Larissa | 2010-02-17

Unstable Boss

My boss confided in me that she was put on Anti-depressants for a year last year.

However her behaviour this year is extremely erratic she has these bad mood swings which are becoming more more frequent. As a result of it she takes it out on her subordinates. She basically vents out on various employees for like 2 weeks and moves on to the next person all of which work under her.

I feel like something should be done cos the people are really taking strain as a result of her problems, but I' m not sure if this can be brought up in terms of the labour rules and regulations?

Surely we don' t have to put up with this?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

I am unsure as to the dynamics within your organisation, If there are HR practitioners they must handle this,prompted by a concern raised by you.

If not you need to speak to a more senior manager and they should address it.
Yes, office politics can be fraught with fears and doubts about the outcome of you bravely raising the concern.

You are entitled to raise the concern - maturely, with sensitivity and confidentially.