Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2008/07/28

Unsociable

It feels as if I’ m living in a cocoon. I' m not scared of people, but I feel isolated and it is getting worse. I live alone in my dark house. I never open the curtains. I don’ t receive any visitors and I don’ t visit other people. I keep conversations with people at work as short as possible. I don’ t know what to say. I know listening is good, but I try to escape as soon as possible. I’ ve seen two psychologists about this. The one said she can’ t help me, and the other one just looked extremely bored. They made me realise that I' m very selfish. No problems to speak of. Should I accept my inability to socialise as a personality trait, ignore it and not care what other people might think?

Sorry to hear that both psychologosts were so pathetically inadequate in dealing with the problems you presented to them ! I don't see anything selfish about you. What's not clear from your message is whether this pattern of social withdrawal has been lifelong, or if it started more recently, after years in which you were sociable and enjoyed company. Maybe seeing a psychiatrist would improve the quality of the disgnosis ( always as a doc or shrink what diagnosis they have made ) and the treatment based on this.