Question
Posted by: Stephan | 2010/04/14

Unruly Yorkie

We have a very lively 7 month old female Yorkie . She has been fixed and had all the required inoculations so far. We are struggling to teach her basic manners such as not to jump up on people, staying of the couches and beds and not dashing out the door in front of cars the moment we open the front door.

We have tried positive reinforcement, clicker training and rapping her on the butt to try and change behavior but to no avail. We are also struggling to teach her the basic commands such as sit, stay, down etc. Our efforts are usually rewarded with her barking and running madly through the house.

Although my wife and I work during the day, we take her for walks almost every evening and give her as much attention as possible. We have bought her various toys for stimulation and only leave her favourites for her to play with during the day.

Any advice?

Dear Stephan

There is no substitute for time with your dog. You will not make progress if you leave the dog all day.

4
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/16

Dear Stephan

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Stephan | 2010/04/15

Thanks for all the advice. We will give it a go and see if her behavior improves.

Reply to Stephan
Posted by: DragonSpirit009 | 2010/04/14

We have 4 yorkies and I know its hard training them... but the learn fast!!!
Try rolling up a newspaper and when she is bad just take it and smack the newspaper next to her while saying no or bad girl or in my case is jy stout?! Say it with a voice that she knows you mean business ortherwise she wil see it as a joke... Never spank her with the rolled up news paper it will put her into a state. Just use it to scare her....
Another thing is to pinch her ear!! I know it sound mean but doing it once or twice while saying no or bad girl then she will get the picture!!
Just act serious and sound angry!! Yorkies sense when your not serious!! Trust me I know!!

Reply to DragonSpirit009
Posted by: Pearl | 2010/04/14

I have a chihuahua that is just over 2 yrs now with the same sort of behavioural problems, we tried clicker training and t touch which helped for a while.
the problem with small dogs is that they try to make up for their size by trying to boss you around. you need to show her that you and ur wife are the heads of the household and that she has to listen to you, holding her down when she is being uncontrollable until she calms down is a good start. i take my doggy for walks every day and we play fetch for hours after work but he still barks if he hears other dogs barking etc... if she jumps on the couch push her off every single time, when ppl come over they must ignore her at first so her excitedness is not encouraged. she is also very young and i can assure you as they get older they calm down.

Reply to Pearl