Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2010-07-13

unruly dogs

Got 2 male dogs (boer boel is 6 yrs and jack russell is 9 months) - we live on a farm and both dogs stay virtually inside because we are not fenced and close to the main road and also for security. The little jackie seems to lift his leg against everything inside and if we have visitors they both jump up and get very excited........Please help me with a solution!.

Hi Debbie

The easiest solution is one of managment/training. I would definately advise that you get a qualified behaviourist/trainer to assist you with this matter. They will instruct you as to how you interact with the dogs when they misbehave.In addition it may be avisable to get both of the dog's neutered as this will enable you to manage them more effectively.

2
Posted by: jenni | 2010-07-25

Hi, I got my male beagle at the age of 16 months. he''s a typical beagle , but was not allowed inside the house previously. We have 4 kids and 2 older dogs and we all co-exist peacefully. I thought it would be easy to get Harry used to comming inside, but he has no manners what-so-ever, and is quite unconcerned about breaking rules, so long as the prize is worth it. ie  sit,stay,heel,stay off the furniture,don''t slobber on the cat, in-your-be.............no problem.
Don''t carry stuff out to chew, raid the fridge, bird seed ( one of our birds flew away when he toppled the cage to eat the birdseed)etc, and don''t lift leg in house...big problem. He has selective hearing, knows when he is being naughty and just doesn''t give a fig.

This is resulting in him feeling left out as he has to stay chained to his basket at night/mealtimes or any other time he is unsupervised. Even when outside he will rip washing from the line and chew things. He also lifts his leg on the dogs bowls after they have eaten , and consumes vast quantities of compost ( yes, grass clipping and all).

The worst is the marking, and we had him neutered as soon as we got him.( He is not the dominant dog, and is conscidered a bit of a fool by his peers. He grew up with his parents and 2 dominant brothers.)

Any ideas?

Reply to jenni
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-07-13

Hi Debbie

Reply to CyberVet