Posted by: CONCERNED | 2009-07-15

Hi, I am a bit worried about my mom.

She is about 56 and told me that when she went to the toilet first thing this morning it started burning terribly just after urinating. She said she didnt know what to do and quickly took a cold cloth to wipe the area, but it didnt help. She then put some Vaseline on, but that also didnt really made a difference. She wiped it again with a cold cloth and then it seemed to go away. But she said it was a really intense burning sensation.

She went to the bathroom again later on and it was back to normal, no burning.

Is there any obvious reason that could cause this and is there anything to worry about since it only happened this once? She never complained about it before?

I also didnt ask, but could it be related to sex perhaps? I dont think so though, I am sure she wouldnt have told me if she knew that it could be as a result from it (thrash has such an effect right and surely she would have experienced it before)?

She was really worried since it happened out of the blue. Any thoughts?

Dear concerned
She may have passed a small kidney or bladder stone ( it is sometimes as small as a grain of sand but can cause injury or stretching of the urine tube causing pain) especially if it was only the one episode. If it happens again I think she should have her urine tested for infection or presence of blood.