Question
Posted by: Tired | 2010/07/14

unreliable employee

Hi CS,

I have this very unreliable employee. She never turned up for work and didn''t bother to call me. When I called her she didn''t bother to answer her phone. I left a message and she hasn''t called me back. Today a woman arrived said my employee owed her money and has been evading her for 7 months. This woman has been around before to collect money but my employee told me that the gardener''s girlfriend had bought stuff on her name and was the one who owed the money. The gardener told me it was untrue and this lady collecter confirmed the gardener''s girlfriend owed her one amount and my employee another amount, two separate debts.

She constantly lies all the time and behaves erratically. Am convinced she has some personality disorder. She told me a while ago her sister was mad and died in an institution.

When I tried to ascertain if her sister was depressed/schitzophrenic or what type of disorder she had, she just said she was mad.

I don''t think she remembers all the lies she tells me because she constantly contradicts herself.

Two weeks ago she called when she didn''t arrive for work saying it was cold and she couldn''t get out of bed. What type of an excuse is this? We are all cold but we have to get out of bed.

How do I handle someone like this?

Having a personality problem, ( IF one does ) does not make it impossible to conform to the rules of normal social conduct. it does NOT mean that one "cannot help oneself". Some forms might make it harder to confrom in some ways rather than others. But one does generally have the choice.
I'm not expert on employment law, of course, but it'd be wise to have had ( and perhaps to now set up ) a formal agreement between you as to how you should each behave in some important ways.
If she is in debt to others, perhaps she is more broadly deceptive,or just in serious money difficulties.
Lies are really dificult for the liar to manage remembering the truth is hard enough, but remembering what lies one has told, and which lies were told to who, is extremely difficult.
She may be sociopathic, or just not very bright and not dominantly clever, and not able to cope well with dealing with others
Have you discussed with her your concerns, and suggested that she really doesn't seem to want to do this job properly, and may want to leave ? YOu may need to consult a labour lawyer or the Dept of Labour, to check your rights and hers if you are thinking of dismissing her. You may need to give her formal warnings, in writing and if possible, witnessed by others.

4
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/07/15

Why make her problems your problems? Fire her.

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: Red | 2010/07/15

You''ll have to repost as CS doesn''t see your repiles to his post.
It does sound as if she doesn''t care about the job. I htink you should discuaa it with her - if you keep letting her get away with these htings, she will keep doing them.

Reply to Red
Posted by: tired | 2010/07/14

PS

She makes me very angry. I feel she is being disrespectful and doesn''t care about her job at all. She disrespects me by treating me badly and expects me to believe her stories. Is she playing games or is this a behavioural pattern she is unable to control eg if she has a personality problem in that she can''t help herself?

Reply to tired