Question
Posted by: Nikki | 2012-03-23

Unreliable doggysitter

My dogs have recently been trough a trauma, my backyard was flooded and their kennel as well. I rushed home from work. Seeing the storm and wanted to give them their meds. On arrival I found them swimming to the back door. They were very upset.
I was manipulated to attend a friends birthday , even though my kennel was closed. I gave in and arranged a doggysitter. I thought I knew this person, and she made all sorts of promises.
I realized she only arrived home at 9 pm on Friday, and left again at 7am. Only my cell can open the gate. Did not know that prior to the weekend. She said she had a difficult client on Friday night. But said, not to worry, she and the girls has popcorn . Found the popcorn untouched. But the rest of my fridge was emptied out.
She promised to go straight home Sat night, arrived at 8:30 and then phoned me because the one dog was couching. Turns out she was given a tripe roll unsupervised . I talked her through what to do. And said she is not to drop the keys through the window before I have an update on the dog. She needed to go to work and my friend might have needed to take her to the vet. She SMS ''s when she''s already at the gate. To me it looks like her stay was staged. She took the food with her and brought the trash back. The bed was never slept in, not one wrinkle. I would not sleep in my own bed. Why would she? Their food bowls were overfilled and no fresh water. Basics! I was told the one refused to get out of bed on Saturday, even in winter she barks for her food if I put Woollies pouches over it!
Am I just an overprotective mommy? Or should I have gotten the service I paid for? The girls were unsettled, treating me as if they were left alone the whole weekend. They were in their element when I dropped them off at the kennels yesterday. Happy to stay. Do I leave it here and never use her again? Or do I point out the facts to her? For the sake of my babies I feel she can''t think she got away with it.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Nikki, A situation like yours just shows how important it is to do a full back ground check on somebody you are considering to look after your dogs - refs, speak to vets that refer the person, owners of dogs that have been looked after before, etc.
My own opinion is that this matter should be dealt with and if I was in your shoes I would,put my concerns and comments (with necessary proof) on what happened in writing and request a reply and then take it from there. Unfortunately if things like this are not dealt with and aired with the other person and your suspicions are correct, this unfortunate situation could happen to somebody else in the future. In the future, I would suggest speaking to your local vet if they know of somebody that is reliable and follows through with what is promised. Thks

3
Posted by: Nikki | 2012-03-28

I still wonder if I should confront her over the phone, or just write her an email, if she has email. What was just terrible was that the people I visited thought I was a drama queen. They left their dog who just had puppies at home for 4 days, it was supposed to be 3, but they decided to stay an extra day ( that was the guests) .
My dogs are very important to me. I am single and they are my life. I have been travelling since the 23rd, and they are in the kennels. They absolutely love it. The owner gets lots of kisses on arrival. I am sure they miss me, but I trust the kennel. They have log cabins with grass patches, and I never came there and found pooh in the exercise area or in their kennel. The lady treats the sore on my baby''s paw and it was healed by the time I came to fetch her. Unfortunately the kennels were closed for the weekend. I don''t think I will make use of a doggy sitter soon

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: GD Mom | 2012-03-26

Shame! I can just imagine how horrified you must be! Being a responsible owner you do all you can to arrange a dog sitter and then this happens! We have a young girl in our area who advertises herself as a dog / house sitter - I was weary of using her as she is so young - early twenties. Anyway I asked her for references which she willingly gave - called them and they all agreed that she was fantastic! I would suggest you chat to this person - more to get it off your chest - and then do reference checks should you ever need a house / dog sitter in future. Oh and there is no such thing as an " over protective mom"  Good luck in getting forgiveness from your girls, they will probably play it for all it is worth!

Reply to GD Mom
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-03-26

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert