Question
Posted by: P | 2009-10-07

unrelated questions

Hi Ross

I have 2 unrelated questions:

1) Many sources state that you should treat yout abdominal muscles just like your other muscles by not training that muscle group daily, however, surely 50 reverse crunches, 40 obliques per side and 40 crunches every night is still ok? I' m just confused. I don' t see that it can be bad. It' s a toning exercise afterall, not bulking....what is your opnion?

2) Can people with stress fractures use the power plate, or will it aggravate the situation? I' m talking really low grade stress fracture in the foot. Also, what is the price of an MRI scan if a stress fracture is suspected?

Excuse my mini-essay :)

Keep well!

HI P

To answer the first one:

Sure, I agree with you. Obviously, there will come a point where you can overdo it, but the ab muscles do a slightly different, stabilizing job from the other muscles, and so they're probably more adapted to continuous exercise. So yes, i think you can probably get away with that every night. You'd have to just monitor it, because you can fatigue the muscles, and then training them might cause problems. But I think it's ok.

To answer the second one:

I'd be very cautious. I think it would aggravate it, possibly even very badly. I doubt there are studies of this, but the theoretcial rationale says that you should avoid impact, and the vibration of tissues and bones would be equivalent to a lot of impact, so I'd be careful. Avoid it until you know the fracture is a thing of the past.

I'd be lying if I told you I knew the cost of an MRI. I seem to recall it was between 500 and 800. You get smaller machines

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009-10-12

HI P

To answer the first one:

To answer the second one:

Reply to fitnessdoc