Posted by: Cindy | 2009-01-28

unpleasant work atmosphere

I hope somebody can assist me. This might be a question forthe Schrink also. There is a very stressful atmosphere in our office. One lady is as moody as hell, wants everything to be done her way although she has no experience in the field we are in and I have 25 years experience and the other ladies 7 and 15 years experience. She moans about bad service from consultants from who we experienced excelent service. She sits with a " dik bek"  for days and is trying to undermine my good and trusting relationship I have had with the boss for 6 years now. I am seriously thinking of beeing bitchy and rude but it is not my personality to be like that. I can see what it is doing to the people around me and all of us do not enjoy coming to work any more. I keep my distance and try to be very diplomatic and hope that the boss will soon realize what she is doing to the staff. What can be done because we are going to loose good loyal staff because of this.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

You do not mention how long she has been there? Nevertheless - this needs attention - approach HR or the senior manager and arrange a team session to discuss - thrash it out;if left to fester will become a major problem with casualties.

Posted by: Cindy | 2009-02-02

Hi Tim

thank you for your reply. This is the way that I am trying to handle the situation but sometimes it gets too much to be professional with her, therefore the posting. Letting of steam a bit ..... Your reply was confirmation to me that I am on the right track. She is 39 years of age and very insecure but very vindictive in a manner that will " promote"  her.

Reply to Cindy
Posted by: Tim | 2009-01-30

Everyone who has worked for years can relate to a similar experience,conflict is inherent in the workplace.I have worked with and/or for people,who by their nature have made me furious,just ny thinking of them.Although easier said than done,try ignoring such a person,deal only with them on a formal work/based basis,and let all communication with them be purely work related.Ive worked with and under control freaks,and have realised that more often than not,they are deeply insecure,unhappy people,with a deep inner feeling of inadequacy.You do have the right and ability to deal with the problem in a quite,professional,but very assertive manner,which if done properly,would curtail her behavior,without demeening your dignity,or hers.How old is this person?as what you describe of her seems to suggest a very young imature power hungry sort of adolsecent.

Reply to Tim