Posted by: Anony | 2009-07-07

Unpleasant inviroment

Hi There,

I need advice as i will go crazy

I have been working in a company for 1yr and 2months. I started here by filing in for a lady on miternity and later when she came back they decided to keep me, The reception lady left as she was 65 and got sick very often, they then moved me in that position and i have been doing it now for 5 months

The thing is that since i started working reception, two ladies in this company started harrasing me(if you can all it that).

In any company one gets 12 days sick leave and 21days anual(correct me if i am wrong) every time i take sick leave i do bring in a letter from doc but every time i do take sick leave the one lady always has something to say about it, the last time i took sick leave she came into my office and told me that we have a meeting the next day about everyone that is taking so much sick leave and told me that she as to tell everyone about this meeting as the owner asked her to let everyone know about this meeting, I felt like this was aimed at me as i was of sick the day before and i had to go for license the day of the meeting and i did book anual leave a mont beforehand to be safe. so that day i was in a state cos i had my licinse and now have to come in for a meeeting, and if i dont like what the boss is saying i can look for another job, and later that day found out that nobody else in the office knew about the apparent meeting but i still went home devistated, i did not go in the next day as i had my drivers that day and thought i would explain as i did put in anual leave.

When i got to work after that day i found out that there was no meeting and that the owner of this company actually said nothing about any sick leave meeting and she actually made the hole thing up.

earlier in this year i also took one day sick leave eventhough i was booked off a week cos i had a bad tooth extraction, my face was swollen and i was in pain could barely speak, i phoned the manager letting him know that i am not coming in as i am swollen and in pain, he did not have a prop but the other lady working in this company phoned me right after i phoned the manager and she started screaming and shouting at me and told me that she is giving me 15min to get to work blah blah blha, i was stay at my mom at that time so she phoned again and my mom answered she then told my mom that i am making her look bad and that the owner did not even want to appoint me in this company but he never mentioned anything like that to me.

These ladies has been working here for years and are older than me but it does not give them the right to treat me this way as i now need to see a sycologist bcos of it and have to pay a lot of money for it as i now sufffer from depression and tried killing myself this has happened a few times with these ladies. i would like to know what can i do about this situation as i am afraid to say anything cos i fear of losing my job and i have a child to support i dont even have a contract

sorry for the long explenation
Thanks in advance

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Hi - you are entitled to sick leave and not to feel obliged to com in to work when you are ill. The company has to honour this. At the same time the employer has the right to manage absenteeism and monitor all employee`s absenteeism. I suggest you keep clear records of all the incidents, your own record of your sick leave, call a meeting with the owner and discuss this and the lack of a contract. You can also get advice for your local labour office.