Question
Posted by: Carol | 2009-08-03

Unmotivated teenager

My 17 yr old son is struggling at school. Has no interest in anything besides his computer ( games &  movies). His diet is poor and he is overweight. He does not communicate well at all and gets verbally aggresive if challenged. Could he be depressed and what treatment option would be the best for him? He will not see anyone re the problems

He could indeed be depressed, and there are a number of other possibilities. A proper, full assessment by a local shrink would help to clarify what is going on. Work to convince him that it would be wise to see someone for advice, to help with the school and other problems. I hadn't rhought of martial arts as an option, but wonder whether he would welcome that suggestion any more ? It sounds, like most teens fixated on their computers, that they prefer inhabiting the virtual world, and ignoring the real world. Maybe if he saw it as a real-life equivalent of a computer game, perhaps ?

1
Posted by: C | 2009-08-03

I would love to make a suggestion to you as I had the same problem with my 15 year old daughter (unless of course your son has a problem which needs to be addessed by a Psychologist/Psyhiatrist): martial arts classes. It gives you discipline, more confidence, helps you lose weight (my daughter lost 12 kgs in the first six months of this year, without changing her diet), stress-relief and it gives you a goal.

Reply to C