Question
Posted by: Gloria | 2011/08/01

Unmotivated at work

Dear Prof Simpson

I''m writing to you because I feel severely unmotivated at work. I have an interesting job (in consulting). I don''t really feel bored with my job. What happened recently is that I''ve been working hard and submitted important deliverables about 1 week ago. I last had a holiday in early May 2011. For the past week, I''ve just been unable to concentrate at work and to motivate myself to do ANYTHING. I feel very guilty for sitting at work and wasting the company''s time and money. I tend to get very overstressed at work and I think my very stressful work environment does not suit my personality type (I''m an INFP - Myers-Briggs). I also have a history of mental illness (anxiety) and take medication for it. How can I motivate myself to start working hard again? I would really appreciate your advice. Thanks.

lets try to clarify what you're saying the job is inherently interesting, and apparently you find it interesting, and you don't feel bored with it. But you feel excessively stressed by it ( try to work out what aspects stress you particularly, and how they might be modified - is it, for instance, THEIR expectations of you, reasonable or unreasonable, or YOUR expectations ?
As you have apparently experienced an anxiety disorder previously, maybe CBT-style counselling which can teach you to avoid and control anxiety, would be more useful than chronic medication, some of which ( especially the sedative tranquillizers of the benzo type ) actively reduce one's ability to concetrate efficiently

1