Question
Posted by: Justme | 2008/06/10

Unlearning nasty habit

I am not sure whether I am with the right expert but here goes. I have been grinding my teeth in my sleep for most of my life (38 years). I think it has become a habit although it gets worse when I am under pressure or stressed. I have already lost 2 teeth because of the grinding and I now use a bite plate (2nd one already as I bit through the 1st one). How would I know if the teethgrinding has become a habit and if it did, how do I unlearn this nasty, painfull and expensive habit?

Its called Bruxism, if you want a name for it. And it is indeed a bad habit. Good that you have a bite plate. Of course it is a habit, and has been from the start --- a good CBT oriented psychologist ought to be able to help you to unlearn this nasty habit without the process taking very long