Posted by: SJ | 2009-02-25

Unhealthy relationship with food

I seem to have a bad relationship with food. I am obsessed with food lables. If the food contains more than 3g of fat per 100g i refuse to buy it. I dont eat meat, i refuse to eat cheese (too much fat) I wont eat deep fried food or food containing more than 1 tsp of olive oil. I am tryign to loose weight but i am worried that my behaviour is becoming a problem. It is at the point now where most nights all i eat is half a butter nut. I cant remember the last time i ate because i enjoyed the food. What do i do?

Sounds like a very unwholesome and unhealthy diet, and probably a variation of an eating disorder. The obsession with labels is self-defeating. EVen with smaller amounts of fat in a product, isn't it more important how much of it you eat rather than the concentration of fat ? And your body needs at least some fat in the diet. And some fats and oils are very good for you, just as others are not. You are wise to recognize that a serious problem is building up. If you wish to be a vegetarian, it is especially important to have a balanced diet of other foods to be ure you get all the nutrients you need. The wisest step would be to consult both a dietician ( to work out a healthy and non-obsessive diet ) and a psychologist practising CBT so as to avoid becomine obsessive and to regain the ability to enjoy what you do eat

Posted by: Mmmmmm | 2009-02-25

There are many sites where you can get a healthy eating plan for your needs. You can also see a dietician.

Food is definately not just food - educate yourselves.

Reply to Mmmmmm
Posted by: Anon#2 | 2009-02-25

Maybe a place to start is to recognise that you are attaching moral values to food - food is just food - really.

In nature everything is food to something else, and humans, imagining that they are hyper-civilised, place very weird god-like pressures on themselves when they start categorising foods as " good"  or " bad" .

The only bad foods are the ones that we' ve invented, like margerine and tartrazine - everything else in moderation is not only good, but neccessary. If you want to be kind to the planet, you need to start with being a little kinder to yourself.

Reply to Anon#2
Posted by: SJ | 2009-02-25

its horrible. Today i just couldnt bring myself to make my usual wholewheat pasta salad for lunch so im just not gonna eat until i get home later (about 6). Im the opposite at other peoples houses and restaurants and stuff cos im still obsesed with what is in my food. If it contains cheese, mayonaise, butter, cream i will NOT eat it. If it contains meat i will NOT eat it. Went to my father in laws house for lunch on sunday, ended up eating corn and a seed roll cos everything else was ' bad' 

Reply to SJ
Posted by: scorpio | 2009-02-25

Im the same. Maybe just re-introduce small quantities of food at a time otherwise you could get so bored with food, you wont want to eat anymoe. Ive got to that stage, but as soon as I go to someones house or out to dinner, I go crazy!! its a big problem.

Reply to scorpio
Posted by: SJ | 2009-02-25

Im a vegetarian for a reason. animals are not food to me.

Reply to SJ
Posted by: yummy | 2009-02-25

have a steak and get over it :-)

Reply to yummy