Posted by: Carmen | 2009-01-09

unhealthy eating habits in child

My 6 1/2 year old son has a very bad appetite and doesnt seem to be hungry very often, We try and avoid sweets and treats but still no appetite I do give him a multivitamin. He enjoys drinking water and tea lately. Please advise

Dear Carmen
Wishing you all the best for 2009. Lack of appetite in a 6 1/2 year-old child is always something that should be investigated. I would suggest that you have your son checked by a medical dr or a Paediatrician to make sure that he is not suffering from any underlying conditions such as iron-deficiency anaemia or even depression which can suppress the appetite. If he is given a clean bill of health you will have to talk to him and point out that he needs to eat a variety of different foods every day to ensure that he grows big and strong and has enough energy to take part in sport and other activities. A 6-year-old is perfectly able to understand this type of discussion. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the article on diets for schoolchildren to see what and how much be needs to eat every day.