Posted by: Vic | 2008-12-02

Unhappy at new work

I don’ t even know why I write this here, maybe just for comforting myself. But here goes it –  I got my live is such a mess. All was well and plain sailing, until three month ago when I changed jobs. Here I am today, and the new job is nothing what it promised to have be, and I’ m unhappy at work. I do stuff I hate, and the type of work I always said I will never do. This is affecting my personal live, and marriage...!!!! So, why not pack up and leave? What do I write on my CV for only being here 3 months, but still be convincing that I’ m not a job hopper. The pressure I can handle, but I hate the line of work I’ m doing, although it is in my field of study, its just not what I am made for!!
Thanks for reading this, makes me feel better… 

Sometimes it is indeed comforting to simply state one's problem and concerns, even without getting comments or feedback --- it helps to clarify one's thinking on a subject.
Presumably you were to some degree unhappty in your old job, otherwise, why did you leave it ? You seem to feel that the new job isn't what you expected, whether [erhaps in some degree because yopur expectations may have been unrealistic, or perhaps what you were offered didn't match reality. Didn't you get a description of the job and work content when offered the job ? IF so, if the work tyou're asked to do doesn't match that, then something may be wrong, and worth taking up with the HR dept or person, who may, anyway, be worth chatting to.
You're right that in these days of economic chaos, it can be unfortunate to give the impression of being a job-hopper, though if the rest of your CV is stable and impresive, you may get a chance to discuss this one bad experience with othe rprospective employers. How did it happen that a line of work which is within your field fo study, and presumably was mentioned in the ads and recruitment and interview, is so distasteful to you ?

Posted by: jcat | 2008-12-02

Vic, it' s better to have a very short 3rd job on your CV and admit to making a mistake than to suffer on until you are thoroughly miserable.
In your interviews, you can expand on that and say that you ended up in an area of your field that just doesn' t suit your personality. Many people have done that, and will accept an honest answer from you.
Your 1st job was 6 years, the 2nd a year, and saying that 4 hours commuting a day was too much is also OK as a reason for leaving. If it' s possible, look for an alternative now. Giving a new job 3 months before admitting that it was a bad choice will not count against you in the long term, but it is important that your next job be one in which you can stay for a few years, so be careful before leaping into anything.
Good luck,

Reply to jcat
Posted by: Vic | 2008-12-02

I can not go back to old company, then I go back to the same old problams... No, I' m STUCK here, at least for the next year of two. I would just have to make sure I get through this by not loosing myself halfway. Maybe the experience would be worth the while later in my career. Or at least, that is what i' m telling myself!

Reply to Vic
Posted by: Sunny | 2008-12-02

I am in the same boat as you, and I have already sent out my cv and been seeing consultants my reason for leaving " I made a mistake"  I told my old company that I am looking so they should await calls from agencies they want to discuss my coming back to work for them. Either way I am leaving I m stressed out I hate this place I hate what I do here.

Reply to Sunny
Posted by: hook | 2008-12-02

Hi - I am going through a similar thing. I left my previous company in hopes of working with people that knew what they are doing and also may give me the opportunity to learn. I trusted someone to give me the inside scoop who wasnt truthful. A week into the new job I realised I had made a mistake and everything was a lie and I was lured under false pretenses. Nobody is happy where I am. I decided to do some damage control right there and then and asked for my old job back. They were very understanding and are even prepared to wait for me. I dont care what people are going to say. Frankly I would rather admit my mistake than let my personal life suffer because of my unhappiness. I am even taking a month off to sort out my head just to recover from the depression. All I can say is you have 2 choices: 1)Stick it out for a year and try and change your mindset 2) Ask for you old job back 3) Take some time off to decide what you want out of you life (if you can afford if financially). I chose both options 2 and 3 for my sanity' s sake. Good luck!

Reply to hook
Posted by: Vic | 2008-12-02

Well, I left the old job to have less traffic to work. The old work was good, but I spend up to 4 hours daily just traveling up and down the N1! What was discussed in the interview was what I am looking for. The contract states that they will give me a job discription " against I will be measured"  but it also states that they can change the job discription to satisfy their need... Up to today I have not even received the initial job discription. I requested a meeting with my manager and HR more than a week ago, they ONLY aswer that I got was that they are to busy and will look into this later.
Field of study - Doc, lets say i' m a pshycologist like you. You might like clinical work, but dislike working with children, or criminals, or getting involve in family matters. Or you love doing this forum, but dislike doing only research with regards to pshycology...
CV - 3rd job. 6 years at company 1, less than a year at company two, and only 3 months at current employer

Reply to Vic