Question
Posted by: Darren | 2009-02-05

Unfit too quickly

Hi FitnessDoc

I am a 35 year old man. In the last 4 or 5 months I have hardly exercised much, maybe once or twice a week, and not intensely at all.

Anyway, in Dec. I went to a doctor, and I found I have lost a few kgs, and protein was found in my urine, as well as my heart rate showing a terrible 117 beats or more a minute.

Even when I tried to jog again, say 4 to 5km, I had to walk most of the way. Usually I finish the route without stopping.

I don' t know if it' s possible to become so unfit in a short space of time, or is there something wrong with my thyroid. I exercise a bit more now but not much. I don' t have much energy. I eat the same except less than usual in the afternoons.

Anyway, I tested hiv-negative 10 mths after sexual intercourse so it' s not hiv.

Appreciate your opinion.

HI Darren

What did the doctor say about the protein in the urine? Surely they diagnosed something as a resutl of that, or at least requested more testing?

There are many conditions that could cause fatigue, HIV the least of them. So you need to look at those tests and see whether there might be a condition that is causing it. It certainly sounds like a problem that is more significant than simply becoming unfit. Thyroid might be an option, you'd have to investigate that and confirm it with a test.

So sorry to have to pass the buck, but the problem is that there are so many possibilities that further testing is really the only place to go. I'd start with thyroid, but look also at glandular fever, eppstein-barr virus,and fibromyalgia.