Question
Posted by: miss | 2010-11-14

unfit and want to return to gym

hi doc

i am a smoker, about 1.65m and 65 kilos, a bit too round for my liking.

i have a gym membership, and my excuse is i''m too unfit to go! i''ve never been athletic and can''t even manage a pushup. i find things like walking on the treadmill boring, so i join the classes instead, but sometimes i found step or body conditioning really hard. it''s not that i am unwilling to do the class, it just feels beyond my capabilities right now, sometimes i''d even return home with a headache. jogging is out of the question too.

i consider my tummy and upper arms my main problem areas.

so what would you recommend i start off with when i go back that won''t be so hard but increase my fitness and make me skinny while we''re at it?
thank you.

Hi Miss

It's tough to start training, so don't feel too bad about it, you're not alone!

I think the biggest impact you'll have is if you can find a friend to do it with you. Then you won't be alone there trying to forge your way to fitness. It might even make a 10 min walk on the treadmill manageable. So if you can entice a colleague or a friend, or a family member to join you, that really makes a massive difference.

The classes do the same thing, but as you say, they're at a level higher than starting out (which is normal to feel, by the way).

I think that this is also something where if you're with someone else, in the same boat, then you'll find it a little easier to handle.

If you do want to do some "pre-gym" fitness work, then now that it's summer, I think it's a good time to take advantage of better weather and starting doing outdoor exercise - walking is the easiest. Even if it's just a brisk 20 minute walk, four afternoons a week, that's enough to improve fitness to the point where you'll handle a class at the gym in a month.

There are a host of training programmes on this site - if you go to this link you'll find them:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347.asp

2
Posted by: danger | 2011-01-24

quit smoking

Reply to danger
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-11-17

Hi Miss

Reply to fitnessdoc