Posted by: Kelly | 2009-03-30

I am 25 yrs, weigh 55-60 kgs and height 5,4kg
Being as unfit as i am, yestersay i went hiking with a group.
A 3hr hike which left me feeling like i was on some military camp.
I made it though, it was fun, i totally enjoyed it.
I think i was pushed beyond what i though i could go.

I got home took a long hot bath in which i almost fell asleep and then got into bed exhausted.Today my body hurts!Its good pain but wow i can hardly walk.
Is this normal or have i perhaps exerted myself?
Il be joining again next week, will i be in as much pain the day after again?and how long will my body take to get used to this if i do it once a week?
Will this also assist me in weight lose by doing this once a week?

HI Kelly

You've almost certainly overdone it - to go from zero to 3 hours of hiking, wow, that's a huge jump and it's no wonder you felt like you did yesterday and today. It's just too big a gap. Your body will however get used it, and by next week, the pain will be hugely reduced and you won't feel as tired.

However, it's not ideal to do one mega bout of exercise every week and nothing in between. I'd really encourage you to look at finding ways to train at least twice in the week as well. Even if it's just 30 minutes on say Tues and Wednesday, walking, or cycling or aerobics or something. Just to get some kind of training effect.

That's not to dismiss this weekend hike and it will help, there is no doubt. And you will get better. But if you can, doing more in the week makes it much, much better, so I'd say try for that.

As for this, by the time you read this, you should be feeling a little better, and hopefully by weekend, much better, then you can tackle the weekend again. Just take care, because that is a massive walk to do on no fitness.

Posted by: Tom | 2009-03-30

If your trainer has you on a decent programme you should feel quite exhausted to some extent but not to the point where you can hardly walk the next day. As for the hiking it sounds like a great way to lose weight as long as it doesnt tire you out too much! But you must rember to adjust your diet accordingly or your hard work will be in vain.

Reply to Tom