Question
Posted by: Mary | 2010/09/14

Unfair Warning

Hi there,

I am having a couple of issues at work and was hoping you would be so kind as to advise me on what procedure to follow. I am currently working at a small company, and feel as though my manager is constantly picking on me. He called me into a meeting with the entire office and reprimanded me for using the work phone, and really embarrassed me. The thing is, he had the wrong information, and was completely out of line, as he read the information he was given incorrectly.

He now wants me to sign a warning for a mistake I made, for negligence, which is clearly not the case, as my supervisor is responsible for signing off and checking all my work. I have signed documentation that the company''s stance on this matter is that if a mistake is made, that responsibility falls solely on the shoulder''s of the supervisor. I don''t want to cause any problems here as I have many personal responsiblities. What are my options here?

Kind Regards
Mary

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: UNFAIR WARNING

It does sound like the warning is not called for. The problem with the manager picking on you is always difficult as you need some of the staff members to stand with you to say that it's not your negligence. You can raise a grievance but this might bring more trouble on to your shoulders.

2
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2010/09/23

RE: UNFAIR WARNING

Reply to Labour Lawyer
Posted by: Trev | 2010/09/14

Join a good strong union,when this bully type boss realises that he could land in serious water if he continues,he will stop.The non union memebers are always the ones targeted,especially by an egotistical bully type manager.[sounds like the typical South africa bully boy idiote]

Reply to Trev