Posted by: MA | 2009-09-02

Unfair labour practises?

A store in our area advertised a position in our local newspaper. My son applied and was appointed. He was initially told that he had to do training for a period of one week after which he would get an increase as well as a permanent appointment. He has now been working for them for about 2 months. He gets a monthly schedule of his shifts and he works only about 72 hours a month. He works most Saturdays and Sundays as this is their busiest time. He gets a payslip and they deduct UIF from his salary.
My questions are:
1) Was the advert not misleading
2) Is he a permanent of temporary worker
3) Can they pay him the same rate for all shift whether it is on weekdays or Saturdays and Sundays?
4) Can they hold their employees liable for stock losses ? They have one person doing stock takes without a second person to confirm his figures.

Your comments would be appreciated

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Your son is entitled to one and a half times payment on Sundays. I'm not sure if the advert was misleading, it doesn't appear so. Your son in fact is a permanent worker. The rate shift does differ on a Sunday, i.e. one and half times. The employees are not held liable for stock losses unless they have specifically given their written consent for same.

Posted by: Gita | 2009-09-02

To us as lay people the labour laws are not always so clear. There a few rather disturbing things in his whole situation which I would suggest that he takes up with the local dept. of Labour. They know the laws + are quite sharp when it comes to employers playing games. The fact that work is very scarce + the economy is struggling does not give employers the right to exploit staff. He must make sure of his rghts + see that he' s not being exploited.

Reply to Gita