Question
Posted by: Diet for life | 2008/09/03

unexplained weight gain

i' m underweight, according to my doctor..
but i still look out for weight gains..
well, my problem is,
i usualy workout alot during weekdays.. usually by walking and running in mix, and alot of stretches... (a bit of crunches and leg lifts as well) as a result, i have alot of muscles..
(except that i don' t menstrate)
anyways, on the days i don' t work out, i stil eat about the same amount because i get really hungry, and drink more
then when i weigh myself the day after, there are days i weigh 1kg (2.2lbs) more.. and permanently unless i try and lose them
but read an article that told me its quite impossible to gain even a lb a day since it equals to 3500 calories in addition. then what can be my weight gain? can it be fluid? muscles? or can it reallybe fat? (p.s i' m a teenager aged 17)

Dear Diet for Life
Your unexplained weight gain is due to water retention and changes in metabolism. Normal weight can vary by up to 3 kg from day to day and even from morning to evening. I am rather worried about your lifestyle because it sounds as if you have a tendency to anorexia?? You say you are underweight, yet you obsess when your weight fluctuates by 1 kg. You do excessive workouts and don't menstruate - all these are typical symptoms of anorexia or an eating disorder. For your own sake please stop trying to lose weight, stop doing excessive exercise and learn to relax and enjoy your youth. If this continues then I would seriously recommend that you see a clinical psychologist to help you work out why you are so obsessive about body weight when you are already underweight. Also arrange to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you to eat properly so that you can get back to a normal weight and start menstruating normallly again.
Don't spoil your entire life by ruining your health at the age of 17!

1
Posted by: Nellie | 2008/09/04

I am a recovering anorexic (binge- purge rather than restrictive) and I have been healthy for 3 years. I want to tell you that there is a whole world out there when you stop fixating on your weight and food. It might not be a concern at 17, but as you get older and want to start a family, your past issues with food can cause serious complications. The thought of future children is what helped me heal. No lies, it is very tough! Eating disorders are like alcoholism in that the tendency to fall back on that destructive coping mechanism will always be there. You just have to learn to acknowlege it and then substitute it with a healthier method. You need to decide for yourself that you want to get well, no one can do that for you, and then consciously change your destructive behaviours- every time I feel the urge to vomit I take myself out of the house and go for a walk until the urge passes. It' s hard but it does get easier, and the experience of a healthy happy life makes it worthwhile!

Reply to Nellie