Question
Posted by: jim | 2011/10/09

unexplained

Please could you advise me on the following -

About three years ago I lost about 25 kgs thjrough running and selective eating. I have maintained this weight for about three years, generlly by running about 50 km per week and generally watching what I eat. This was a lifestyle change

I have just been on holiday on a road trip for a week. I drove by car for over 3000 km, and generlly ate Cheese burgers and toasted heese etc at Wimpy / Steers along the way as I did not have access to healthy foods.

When I got back I was very concerned about how much weight I would have picked up as I had not run or any exercise for 9 days, and had just sat in a car and ate junk foods.

When I weighed myself I found I had lost 0,5 kg in the 9 days.

Why woudl thsi be ? What would the cause of this be ? Is there anything I can learn from this regarding my lifestyle chage ?

Dear Jim
There are a variety of reasons why your 9 day 'holiday' from being strict about exercise and careful eating, may not have caused the weight gain you expected and instead even produced a slight loss of 0,5 kg. If your total energy intake per day did not exceed your daily energy requirement (no matter what type of foods you ingested), then you would not have gained weight. Secondly your wonderful efforts to lose those 25 kg and to get very fit and lean by running 50 km per week, have paid off big time. You probably altered your entire metabolism with this healthy regimen so that your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR - basic energy requirement to keep your body processes going, even when you are at rest) has increased. This is one of the valuable gains of exercise and a healthy diet. If your BMR has increased then you will be more resistant to easily gaining weight. Now it is only human to think that in the light of this finding you don't need to continue exercising and eating circumspectly any more - this is a fallacy. In the same way that you changed your metabolism in a positive way, weeks and months of eating a high-fat diet consisting of highly processed foods and not doing any exercise will reverse your improvements and you will gain weight once more. So now that you have had a super holiday, ease back into your healthy lifestyle so that you can maintain all the benefits, which are surely more than just the weightloss? Feeling on top of the world, having more energy and feeling in control of your life, is worth the effort of being active and eating the correct diet.

1

Dear Jim