Question
Posted by: Matshepo | 2011-09-23

Uneven breast milk

Goodday

I am a working mohter who is very commited to breastfeeding (6month old baby). I usually take 30mins of my break to express breastmilk. What I have noticed is that I would express about 40ml of milk from my left breast but my right breast would produce 150ml of milk. Which means my baby would get full on the one breast. Is there a reason as to why this is so and houw can I get more milk out of my left breast. I would like to contunue breastfeeding my baby until he is 2years

Perhaps speak to a breastfeeding consultant.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2011-09-26

Well done, you are doing so well.

Our breasts do differ in terms of how fast the milk flows and how much each produces, so its quite normal to have one breast that is better than the other.

Also remember that expressing is far less efficient than your baby.

There is also nothing wrong with feeding all or mostly from one side (though you will be a bit lopsided for parts of the day!)

You can feed from the lesser producing breast first and let her feed there until she''s had enough and then change her to the better boob and let her finish off there. However, some would say its better to let her have her full feed on the better producing breast and then do your comfort feeds from the other breast.

I am also expressing at work for my four month old and I find that my left breast produces lots of milk fast and then stops completely and my right breast slowly produces a trickle that eventually matches what my left breast produces, but that each session and each day the one or the other will produce more or less, with a difference of around 20ml from the one or the other across the day.

While feeding baby, after she''s had both the lesser producing and is on the better producing breast (or just finished on it), you can then express from the lesser producing one to stimulate it to produce more milk (it probably won''t produce anything or just 5 - 10ml when you express like that though, but you can always freeze that in an ice cube tray or add it to your next day''s milk).

I''d suggest you contact the La Leche League for some specific help with this as they will be able to give you some options of things you can try.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-09-26