Posted by: Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver) | 2009-10-07

Undiagnosed adult autism

Hi doc

My son of 18 has always been thought to have ADD by clinical educational psychologists. This made me realise that I have many of the same traits. I am aloof, never maintain close friendships, struggle to make eye contact, casual chit chat, don' t " get"  social rules, how to act etc... Always just accepted that as my lot in life (which it still is). Needless to say, this kind of personality has lead to my being subjected to huge disapprobation in the course of my life, something which has always filed me with great bitterness. I felt I was being persecuted simply for having a certain personality type. Is there any chance for release from thjis life-sentence?

Well, now, the particular signs you describe aren't really specific to ADHD, and can be part of other problems including some personality problems. The importance of this distinction is that drugs are less likely to help. But what might well help would be psychotherapy, especiall of the CBT ( Cogniive-Behaviour Therapy ) variety. to deal with the set of asumptions and habits of thought you may have formed over the years, and to set yourself free of them.

Posted by: Travis Bickle | 2009-10-08

As always, incredibly insightful comments from you. I think it all boils down to those sets of assumptions and habits of thought... What about " self-helping"  oneself out of destructively repetitive mindsets... Does the process have to be mediated by a therapist?

Reply to Travis Bickle