Posted by: lp2008 | 2008-11-08

Undescended testicles corrected late...

Hi Doctor,

My husband was born with bilateral undescended testicles that weren' t corrected until he was 8 - I know from reading about it that we will more than likely need ICSI to conceive. He had a semen analysis done that came back inconclusive but hasn' t yet gone for a repeat test. My question is what do you think his chances are of having just one healthy sperm for the procedure? Also, how is a semen analysis determined as inconclusive? I' d be so grateful of any help.

Dear lp2008-

It is the first time that I have heard of a semen analysis coming back as inconclusive. There will either be sperms present that are either very low count quality or motility or there will be absolutely no sperms present in the sperm sample. I would suggest you repeat the semen analysis at either a reputable laboratory that has experience in semen analysis or a fertility unit as an inconclusive result is really unacceptable.