Posted by: Trix | 2008-11-10

My fiance is tall, healthy and very active.

The problem that I have is that he eats like a horse and remains skinny. He is very busy and with his lifestyle he ends up eating lots of junk foods.

What can I " feed him"  to make him gain wieght.

Dear Trix
If your fiancé's metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have his gp check his thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your fiancé's energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your fiancé's need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically he needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much he eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to his regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If he uses a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then he should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.
Hope your fiancé gains weight.