Question
Posted by: Mandie | 2010/05/24

underweight child

My 4 year old is underweight, he will be 5 in August this year but he weighs around 15kg and he is not tall. he is actually the smallest in his class. I''m worried about this. well he does not eat variety of food. this started when he was still very young, he had food allergies (milk, eggs &  peanut butter), he has outgrown the milk and egg allergies but still he does not want to eat alot of things. what supplements can I give him.

Dear Mandie
The average weight for children aged 4 years is about 15 kg and the average height is approximately 97 cm, so based on your son's weight he is not really underweight. You don't mention how tall he is in cm, but some children grow more slowly than others and he may well experience a growth spurt a bit later on. If he eats dairy products, eggs, meat, fish, cereals and grains, vegetables and fruit then supplements are not necessary. However if you are concerned then it may be a good idea to have him and his present assessed by a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If the dietitian finds that his food intake is not varied enough she/he will recommend which foods need to be added to his diet and if he requires supplements.

2
Posted by: Mari | 2010/05/24

I had the same problem with my 4 yr old and was recommeded to buy Nutri Boost porridge for children and it worked.

Try giving him small portions of protein rich foods frequently.

Reply to Mari

Dear Mandie