Question
Posted by: anon | 2009-09-16

underweight and pregnant

hi there, im about 20 weeks pregnant with my 1st child and i am a bit worried about my weight. I was underweight before i fell pregnant and hoped i would gain weight while pregnant but i have only gained about 1 to 2 kilos. could you plz advise me on what i could do to gain weight and maintain that weight as i find it very difficult to maintain the weight and end up losing weight faster than i can gain.
thanx!

You don't say what your weight is. You could ask DietDoc to suggest a balanced diet for you.

2
Posted by: Attitude4u | 2009-09-17

Hi Anon

Alot of pregnant go through the same thing.I went to go see my gynae last week and I was then 20weeks pregnant.I too have also picked up 1 kg,he however did not seem concerned as I was eating healthy and my babies measurements and weight was normal.I eat btw 5-6 small meals a day always including a yoghurt.
You should be picking up weight here about 22-26.
Good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy every moment of it :o)

Reply to Attitude4u
Posted by: Shelby | 2009-09-17

Hi there,

I had the same problem and my gynae said I need to take in extra calories as the baby was also underweight. I started eating extra small meals, especially toast with margarine and peanut butter. He said I also needed to increase my protein intake, hence the peanut butter, but I also ate 2 eggs a day, either boiled or fried. He prescribed a supplement drink, that is Formance or Mum 2 B for pregnant ladies. It really helped and I picked up 16 kgs in the end. You can also eat a match box size of cheddar daily and 1 small yoghurt.

Reply to Shelby