Question
Posted by: SUE | 2009-01-13

UNDERWEIGHT

I AM 46 YEARS OLD AND HAVE 3 SONS. EVER SINCE THE BIRTH OF MY FIRST SON MY WEIGHT DROPPED FROM PLUS MINUS 46KG TO 36KG. ALTHOUGH I HAD ANOTHER 2 CHILDREN THEREAFTER I ONLY PICKED UP THE NORMAL PREGANCY WEIGHT AND THEN BACK TO 36. I HAVE BEEN TO DIETICIANS, WEIGH-LESS (EATING THE OPPOSITE OF THOSE WANTING TO LOOSE WEIGHT) WHERE I HAVE BEEN WEIGHED AND MEASURED EVERYDAY BUT NO LUCK. I EAT MORE THAN THE AVERAGE PERSON EVEN GET UP DURING THE NIGHT TO EAT. ALSO HAD MY SUGAR AND EVERYTHING ELSE IN THYROID CHECKED BUT HAVE NO PROBLEM. I ALSO WENT ON THE HERBAL LIFE PLAN. PLEASE HELP AS I AM SCARED WHEN THE WESTERN CAPE WHEN START TO BLOW. THANKS.

Dear Sue
I can well imagine that you are scared to be blown away when the South Easter starts howling around the Cape if you are so very underweight. If you do not have an overactive thyroid or conditions such as digestive enzyme deficiencies that prevent you from absorbing your food, then click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles on 'How to gain weight'. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.